• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

I Need Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cpt_Shorty528

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I own two guinea pigs. I got them about 4 months ago. I the only one in my family of two younger bros. I'm 13. Anyways my one poor guinea pig is sick and I am positive she has a uri. My parents are refusing to think it will kill her and will not take her to the vet. I said I would pay for it but nooii. They say it's cheaper to buy another living guinea pig. I am shocked that they are that... Cruel. I said its a living thing and she is family, they stole me to shut up and not bring it up again. Believe me I persisted. I have been yelled at and sent to my room many times already. She has survived fr about 4 nights now. She is now sitting in the corner. I have gotten her to eat and she is eating but seems skinny and coffee up. I am in tears and don't know what to do. I asked my parents if I could send her to the animal rescue and they deny me every time, they think it's bettr to get a new one. It is ridiculous and I have no idea what to do?!

Oh my :( I am so sorry that you have a very poorly guinea pig and that your parents are refusing to help you and your boy. This is an awful position for you to be in.

I must ask this question and am trying not to sound awful as I do not know them but when they allowed you to have the guinea pigs, THEY were taking on a responsibility and it is very wrong of THEM to deny your boy of veterinary treatment. THEY have an appalling attitude :( The responsibility ultimately lays with your parents and not with you which is why I have capitalised 'They' as none of this is your fault.

Can you please inform them of the 5 freedoms which every animal owner should bare in mind when taking on an animal. These are the 5 freedoms and in denying your boy veterinary treatment, they are breaking these freedoms:

FREEDOM FROM HUNGAR AND THIRST- By providing enough fresh water and the right type and amount of food to keep them fit.
FREEDOM FROM DISCOMFORT - By making sure that animals have the right type of environment including shelter and somewhere to rest.
FREEDOM FROM PAIN, INJURY AND DISEASE - By preventing them from getting ill or injured and by making sure animals are diagnosed and treated rapidly if they do.
FREEDOM TO BEHAVE NORMALLY - By making sure animals have enough space, proper facilities and the company of other animals of their own kind.
FREEDOM FROM FEAR AND DISTRESS - By making sure their conditions and treatment avoid mental suffering.

The RSPCA believes that anyone responsible for looking after animals should try to give them the 5 freedoms.

Guinea pigs hide illnesses very well and the fact that you can tell he is poorly means that he is very poorly. Here are the symptoms for a uri
http://www.guinealynx.info/uri.html please read the link and show it to your parents if necessary. To have any chance of survival, your boy needs to see a vet and have a course of antibiotics at the very least.

I feel so sorry for you and your parents really need to take responsibility and act quickly.

I am conscious of your age but where about's are you located i.e. are the in the UK or elsewhere worldwide? Providing your location will allow us to advise you further on what to do next.

Can a mod please move this thread in to the Health and Illness section where the OP may get more replies and offers of help.

Last edited:
I am so so sorry, that is such a difficult position to be in. I really hope you are able to sort something out. I'm sorry I'm not able to help any further, I just want to send you luck in getting him to the vets and luck with his recovery xx

I'm so very very sorry for you, this is a horrible thing that is happening to you and your piggy and your parents need to take responsibility. I cant add anything that Claire W has not said but wanted to send sympathy.

I'm so sorry you are in such a horrible position. As others have said, if you could confirm your location it may help (just the country would be ok as you are a minor). If you could show your parents Claire's post it may help. As your parents it is their responsibility to provide vet treatment for your poorly pig and in the UK at least it is against the law to not do so. I understand it is out of your hands though.

I am so so sorry, that is such a difficult position to be in. I really hope you are able to sort something out. I'm sorry I'm not able to help any further, I just want to send you luck in getting him to the vets and luck with his recovery xx
Thx but she will most likely be gone tomorrow

I am sorry that you are so far away. I have just googled and found a list of vets in Sanford, Orlando if that will help? I have found 7. Would your parents be willing to phone one of them if only for advise?

Murphy Veterinary Clinic
2620 S Orlando Dr
Sanford, FL, United States
+1 407-323-4707

Seminole Animal Hospital & Pet Resort
2515 H E Thomas Jr Pkwy
+1 407-330-7387

Newman Veterinary Center
1701 E Airport Blvd
+1 407-585-4440

Wekiva Forest Animal Hospital
5276 FL-46
+1 407-322-3930

Newman Vets of Sanford
1701 E Airport Blvd
+1 407-585-4440

Paws Around Town Mobile Vet
Sanford, FL
United States
+1 407-272-2803

Sanford Veterinary Hospital
600 W 27th St
+1 407-322-2634

I am sorry that you are so far away. I have just googled and found a list of vets in Sanford, Orlando if that will help? I have found 7. Would your parents be willing to phone one of them if only for advise?

Murphy Veterinary Clinic
2620 S Orlando Dr
+1 407-323-4707

Seminole Animal Hospital & Pet Resort
2515 H E Thomas Jr Pkwy
+1 407-330-7387

Newman Veterinary Center
1701 E Airport Blvd
+1 407-585-4440

Wekiva Forest Animal Hospital
5276 FL-46
+1 407-322-3930

Newman Vets of Sanford
1701 E Airport Blvd
+1 407-585-4440

Paws Around Town Mobile Vet
Sanford, FL
United States
+1 407-272-2803

Sanford Veterinary Hospital
600 W 27th St
+1 407-322-2634
My dad is trying to help I will see what happens

I am so sorry that you are going through this and feel badly for your piggie. Thank goodness your Dad is trying to help. I hope you can get in to see a vet today. You might try getting your piggie to drink water from an oral syringe if he's not drinking on his own. A pharmacy may provide you one for free. Please keep us posted. Good luck.

I really feel for you as at first my Dad's attitude was just get another piggy. :( Now he has grown to love the piggys and likes watching them squeak, popcorn and run about. Maybe show your parents this thread?

For the sake of other forum members and yourself, I just want to make it clear that I do not recommend home treating guinea pigs but given the position you are in, it would seem you have no other choice.

If you manage to get hold of the baytril. please make sure it is in date. Do you know if the baytril was used to treat your brothers friends guinea pig for a uri? I'm just wondering if you know what dosage to give as you don't want to overdose him. Also ask your brothers friend if he has any probiotics as this should be given within an hour of baytril to help settle the stomach. The last thing you need is for your boy to develop soft poos which can happen with the use of baytril.

There are also different strengths of baytril so if you manage to get hold of any, can you please let me know exactly what it says on the bottle before giving it to your piggy.

Is he still eating, drinking and passing normal poos and urinating?

For the sake of other forum members and yourself, I just want to make it clear that I do not recommend home treating guinea pigs but given the position you are in, it would seem you have no other choice.

If you manage to get hold of the baytril. please make sure it is in date. Do you know if the baytril was used to treat your brothers friends guinea pig for a uri? I'm just wondering if you know what dosage to give as you don't want to overdose him. Also ask your brothers friend if he has any probiotics as this should be given within an hour of baytril to help settle the stomach. The last thing you need is for your boy to develop soft poos which can happen with the use of baytril.

There are also different strengths of baytril so if you manage to get hold of any, can you please let me know exactly what it says on the bottle before giving it to your piggy.

Is he still eating, drinking and passing normal poos and urinating?
So I havnt obtained the baytril yet but my pig is still eating and pooing correctly. But I havng seen her drink for a while. I have given her lettuce with water poured over it. Yes this is a dire situation so I guess I have to home treat her. Also I don't know if my friend has treated there's but l will see. Thx for everything.

It's ok, we just want to help you and your girl. Apologies for getting the sex wrong and calling her a boy.

It us good that she is still eating and giving her watery veg is good as she needs to stay hydrated. Do you have any 1ml syringes at home or can you also ask your brothers friend if he does? They will need to be new ones though as in still in the packet.

I have sent you a private message

Last edited:
I support @Elwickcavies that this is one of those few "awful and EXCEPTIONAL" sItuations (often occurring is in the USA where decent cavy-savvy vets treatment can be days and 1000's of miles away ) So, in the circumstances, "home treatment" for a relatively innocuous URI etc may be the best acceptable way forwards to save this little piggie's life

Go @Elwickcavies I willc contribute if I think I have anything further helpful to add.

x

Some steam therapy may help too, if you put a bowl of boiling water next to the cage for her to breathe in the steam, or you could take her in the bathroom after a shower. In the UK we have Olbas oil and I use 2 drops in boiling water, the link is below, not sure if you will have any of it at home.

http://www.olbas.co.uk/products/olbas-oil.ashx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back