• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

I need opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beautifulmess

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Africa is quite a lot worse, his fluid build up is so big now it's up to his neck, making his legs seem small, and all over his belly and on his balls, I can't clean his impaction out because his bum just won't open and everytime he poops it's turning into slop, he vibrates when I try to pick him up and sleeps a lot, today I haven't seen him eat munch, and drink even less, I tried to give him carrot but he kept spitting it out, teeth maybe? He has scabs all over him...

This has only developed in the last 2/3 days. The scabs I've only noticed today.

I'm completely against putting an animal to sleep but I'm terrifired I'm being selfish because the idea of taking him somewhere to never bring him back and to watch him die really kills me inside, I can't cry in front of vets, I don't know why, i just don't... something about them makes me freeze up.

I need peoples opinions altho I know the choice is mine in the end.

When will it be best to put him to sleep? Is he close to the end being the way he is?

Thanks.

Have you taken him to the vets?
Try and put some vaseline or mineral oil around the area to help ease the impaction out or even warm water to try and loosen it.
If he has diarrhoea do you have any probiotics? If not try a poop soup and make sure he stays hydrated.
He needs to keep eating as they can start to shutdown within hours if they dont and sometimes it can be difficult to get the body working again.
Can you mash up any pellets in hot water and then syringe feed to him once its cooled down
Where abouts are his scabs? has he been itching?

There all over his chest, stomach, balls and legs, he has no fur *** he pulled it all out. I'm afraid, he's dying so I don't see what point there is in forcing him to eat, I'm just wondering if this is it, if he's slowly going to go now or if I need to get over myself and put him down, I know this sounds horrible but he was diagnosed with liver failure 2 weeks ago and the vet said few days to a few weeks and to choose when to put him down if he's in more pain then not, but I can't tel, I just know that the liquid gain is massive and all these scabs and I can't even get into his bum anymore due to his balls being so swollen... I don't have any vasaline and I couldn't even get to the doctors till monday... 'sigh' it always happens at a weekend.

I think maybe you know the answer then, keep him as comfortable as possible.

He has liver failure?

I'm sorry hun, at the end of the day its up to you and if you feel he is suffering you have to do what is best for him. If you feel that he isn't going to go himself soon then it may be best to take him to the vets

xx

I don't know how to get to the vets, my boyfriend is the one with the money and the transport, i suffer with agoraphobia and the destress its going to cause me will make me fall apart if I have to walk to the vets myself (other side of town) I just don't know what to do. My boyfriends at work, then he's got a gig toight (hisband) and won't be back till 12amish and the shut weekends don't they. I'd rather Ben put him down then vetsforpets *** i hate that practise. :(

Aww hon I'm so sorry. It doesnt sound like he is too comfy, i think from what you have described and if it was me.....i would be making an appointment and preparing myself :(

Ah i hate vetsforpets, i had a guinea pig suffer because of them (when i was inexperienced)

If you can't take him out hun then just make sure he is comfortable and getting plenty of snuggles. Can you take him to Ben?

I'm sorry hunny, its not nice is it x

Do you have any friends that could either take him or take you?

If i was nearer i would go no probs x

What a difficult situation for you hun.
Dont you have anyone closer who could take you to the vets?

Ben is my vet btw, I found out there open tomorrow so I booked an appointment, I hate myself for it, I mean, have any of you done this and if so how are you when you, do you go through it with them, stay till there gone?

It's my boyfriend paying, I have no money at all for a while due to changing to employment support allounce, it's good he just got paid >.< I know, but at the same time,thats without even bringing him home. God knows what it would be if I had asked for the ashes back.

Ben is my vet btw, I found out there open tomorrow so I booked an appointment, I hate myself for it, I mean, have any of you done this and if so how are you when you, do you go through it with them, stay till there gone?

Its a very individual preference thing i think.

I have been twice and both times i stayed, they are my babies and i committed to look after them to the end so.......

Stayed with my dog too, heartbreaking.

Will always do this, no matter what..................

It's my boyfriend paying, I have no money at all for a while due to changing to employment support allounce, it's good he just got paid >.< I know, but at the same time,thats without even bringing him home. God knows what it would be if I had asked for the ashes back.

Isnt there any way you can take him home and bury him somewhere? All my baby's are in my garden.

In the park? in a field?

I don't think I would leave either, but the idea of crying in front of a vet makes me panic a bit... I don't know why, I cried in front of the receptionist at my old old old vets when Leo died and I had to hand him over for crem, they just didn't care... no sign of sympathy at all. i had to sit on the step of some old broken down house for 2 hours before I could face goingback into the town, people gave me strange looks, like they didn't work out I was sitting right next to a vets? heh

I'll stay with Africa till the end, I just hope I hold together until I'm outside because when I cry, I tend to choke myself at the same time (not with my hands heh)just something that happens to my throat. Tomorrow was meant to be a fun day, a lovely weekend with my boyfriend shopping and such and now it'll be overcast :( I can't even hold him much because he is full of poo and seems so distressed that it hurts to be held.

I have had many guinea pigs PTS and I like to stay with them. The only one I didn't stay with was Fennel who died last month and that was because he was left at the vets as I had to go to work and I felt he was getting worse and I wanted to see if they could help him but sadly he was beginning to suffer so they put him down. I just hope he was ill enough to know be scared.

I live 6 floors up, i couldn't risk burying him at the castle because 1. I have no means to do anything like that, spades and such, plus i dont know if your allowed and 2. foxes would dig him up. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back