• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

I Need To Vent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bekialice

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So I live in a 2 bed flat with my partner and a flatmate who we used to work with.

We've not been getting on with our flatmate recently, he works in a bar and drinks quite a lot and is generally quite messy. I've just started a new job and I'm really busy at the moment so I'm just getting fustrating with him not tidying or acting like an adult.

We have four piggie ladies that I dote on and I got a job with less contracted hours so I could be around for them more now we have the two additions. But we've had to move them out of our bedroom temporarily because the ventilation from our en suite is making the room damp and opening the window means a cold draft for the girls. So now they're in the living room for a little while.

Thing is, our flatmate comes home from work/drinking after work and picks up Luna (one of our babies) out of the cage and feeds her. I only know this because yesterday he showed me a picture of her eating a tomato on his knee and told me (whilst he was drunk) that he gets her out.

I've explicitly told him when we moved in that NOBODY touches any of the pigs at all if they've even smelt alcohol and that includes me.

I think it's such a rude, irresponsible thing to do and I'm really angry about it. It comes from a nice place where he loves that pig and wants to look after her. But beside the obvious danger of taking a small wiggly pig out of a cage at night whilst drunk or at least tipsy. It means I can't keep track of her food and she's being fed more than the others.
I can't move them back to my room yet because I don't want to risk the older piggies health by putting them in a condensation filled room.

Grrr. Why can't he respect that they're MY pets and MY responsibility.

So me and Murray are moving the ladies back into my room tomorrow because he can't be trusted.

Anybody else ever had a problem like this before?
Sorry if this isn't in the right place, I needed to vent to people who care about piggos like I do
Xx

Not had a problem like this before, but what about putting a lid with a padlock on the cage, so no one can get your pigs out while you're not there, I know this has been suggested before for people with children.

Not had a problem like this before, but what about putting a lid with a padlock on the cage, so no one can get your pigs out while you're not there, I know this has been suggested before for people with children.

Not actually a bad idea, I didn't think of that! Although I'd have to get a cage lid for a 7x2 C&C cage from somewhere. I reckon by the time it arrived, it would probably be safe to move them back in with me.

I'll suggest it to Murray though, see if we can makeshift something from B&Q.

That doesn't seem too passive aggressive does it?

I can't be constructive I'm afraid. I just don't like people enough so I'd end up asking them to leave (to be fair I just like my own space and only tolerate ny partner lol). Have you thought about whether you and your partner could afford your own place just the two if you and the piggies?

Gosh thats a tricky situation to be in.... i think i would be fuming if someone did that my piggies when drunk....... good luck with sorting it out x

Eurgh that would make me cross too, the audacity! I wouldn't dream of doing something like that without permission and especially not after drinking. I don't really trust anyone with my babies, the fear they might give a toxic food like potatoes or onions is real aha.

The lock idea is great, if he has a problem with it then tell him slowly (like you would a child) that if he hadn't have broken the rules and trust then you wouldn't have had to do it.

Last edited:
Eurgh that would make me cross too, the audacity! I wouldn't dream of doing something like that without permission and especially not after drinking. I don't really trust anyone with my babies, the fear they might give a toxic food like potatoes or onions is real aha.

The lock idea is great, if he has a problem with it then tell him slowly (like you would a child) that if he hadn't have broken the rules and trust then you wouldn't have had to do it.

That's awkward. I think everyone has their own ideas of what is and isn't OK, and perhaps he doesn't see the harm, but he has been asked not to touch them after alcohol and he really should respect that. I wouldn't like it either, I'd be very nervous of an accident, just as you are. When people can't agree/don't follow previously agreed house rules then I don't know how I would sort it out, but I hope you can get that lid sorted quickly, it does sound like a good idea. I don't know if a dehumidifier would balance the air in your room?

Thankfully, I don't have that problem as my piggies have their own mansion in the garden, if I have any problems (which I don't as my garden is secure) all I would have to do is put a padlock on the door. ;)

Hi, have you got a dehumidifier for your room? I'm the same with my home, most rooms get condensation. Just a tip though, I was actually watching something on Youtube in regards to damp/condensation and in this video they say not to open the window's during the Winter period because this can make the condensation worse due to the air being damp from outside.

I've actually been leaving my heating on and I know this can be costly but it does help the condensation in the bungalow, plus it keeps my 9 guinea's, 2 hamsters and dog warm at night. It's just because the council can't be bothered to put air vents in... I may have to moan at them about it.. again.

Very sorry to hear about your flatmate :(

Not actually a bad idea, I didn't think of that! Although I'd have to get a cage lid for a 7x2 C&C cage from somewhere. I reckon by the time it arrived, it would probably be safe to move them back in with me.

I'll suggest it to Murray though, see if we can makeshift something from B&Q.

That doesn't seem too passive aggressive does it?

It may seem passive aggressive, but if you can't put them back in your room yet and it comes down to the safety of your pigs, it's an option. I have heard of people getting wire shelving that the hardware store can cut to length for you as a lid, in the past, I have just used grids(storage cubes) zip tied together with dowels running across, so it doesn't sag in the middle. The dehumidifier sounds like a good idea too. I really wish you luck in finding a solution.

Maybe you could talk to your flat mate again.Maybe you could give supervised access if he likes holding/cuddling your piggies.It can be good for the piggies to get used to a variety of human contact.all other times maybe put a lid and a padlock on the cage.i agree it must be very annoying that your flatemate is being irresponsible.I hope you are able to sort this problem out.

Thanks everyone for your replies, we have a few ideas to work with now!

I'd love our own flat and we did a few months ago, we only moved in here in November so the contact is for a while yet. We only moved because rent in Manchester city center has rocketed in the last year and our old flat went up with a 22% increase! My partner is a bar manager so he needs to be close to work and I work in town too so moving out to where it's cheaper wasn't the best option for travel times.

I hate confrontation and I can be quite blunt when people make me mad so I'm trying to stay away from an argument because I know he'll take it the wrong way and we'll be living with a horrible atmosphere.

We had a dehumidifier and it didn't really do much or make a difference to the condensation. It's because our en suite has no windows and it being attached to our bedroom, whenever we have a shower the steam comes into our room. We just need the vents fixing and it should be a lot better
I might move them back and pick up a better dehumidifier, we did only have a mini one.

I've not been able to find storage cubes anywhere in manchester? When I got the ladies C&C cage, we had to order it all online and wait for 2/3 weeks for delivery. I would put a cage lid on it if I could easily pick the cubes up. I went to B&Q this morning and couldn't really find anything suitable for the top.

This is why piggos are better than pepole. Eugh to this silly situation:td:

Hi, have you got a dehumidifier for your room? I'm the same with my home, most rooms get condensation. Just a tip though, I was actually watching something on Youtube in regards to damp/condensation and in this video they say not to open the window's during the Winter period because this can make the condensation worse due to the air being damp from outside.

I've actually been leaving my heating on and I know this can be costly but it does help the condensation in the bungalow, plus it keeps my 9 guinea's, 2 hamsters and dog warm at night. It's just because the council can't be bothered to put air vents in... I may have to moan at them about it.. again.

Very sorry to hear about your flatmate :(

I didn't know that! Our landlord told us to open the window when we have a shower or cook to let the air out until they can get someone to come look at it.
I reported it 2 weeks ago now :hb:

I'll see if I can find the video and I'll PM you the link if I do.

Yeah the council told me the same thing and when I started researching on the internet, I found the youtube video. I'm still getting damp patches in one corner of each room, I don't think it's in my son's room as they actually put a vent in there when my son found his floor was wet...

Edit - found the video and pmed the link to you.

Last edited:
The other have some great ideas, the other thing is put a bowl of water, on your window. There is a special one you can get. The ideal place for the piggies is in your bedroom with a lock on your door. Do you have damp on your ceiling or mould.

I'll see if I can find the video and I'll PM you the link if I do.

Yeah the council told me the same thing and when I started researching on the internet, I found the youtube video. I'm still getting damp patches in one corner of each room, I don't think it's in my son's room as they actually put a vent in there when my son found his floor was wet...

Edit - found the video and pmed the link to you.

Thank you! That's lovely of you, I'll watch it now

The other have some great ideas, the other thing is put a bowl of water, on your window. There is a special one you can get. The ideal place for the piggies is in your bedroom with a lock on your door. Do you have damp on your ceiling or mould.

What will the bowl of water do?
Yeah we're moving them back in today and I think we're going to pop out and get a dehumidifier too

We had a small patch of mould in the corner under the window that I cleaned off as soon as I saw it

It is supposed to draw the water out of the room, you can get it from Tesco. The OH thinks this is a dehumidifier but you've already tried that. Just have a look & see if it's the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back