• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

I read this on a taming website for piggies

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpdfs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
""Guinea pigs are pets that you can sit on your lap and stroke but it can take a while for them to get used to it. A very frightened guinea pig will sit very still and even quiver. When they are a little less nervous they make a purring noise to indicate that they are unhappy - people often mistake this for the purring cats make when they are happy but it actually means the opposite. """

I thought purring/vibrating is good? For real is it good or bad or what exactly is the deal. Getting to many different answers, Its annoying lol.. My boy does it all the time and he sprawls out while hes doing it so i assume he likes it? but the above said its bad? HELP!

I am no expert but I presumed purring meant the piggies are happy and content. Mine tremble when they want to get back to their potty, if I do not respond they turn, nudge my hand and nibble my finger then squeak loudly and nibble harder but they dont get to that stage often.

A more knowledgeable member will be in to help soon.

Vibrating could also be when they're a bit chilly, and are trying to keep warm, some thing we do (shiver) when we're cold, and also when we're frightened..

I imagine the author is confusing purrng with rumble strutting. Let me refer to Myra Mahoney, author of the Mini Encyclopedia of Guinea Pigs:

Guinea Pig sounds: 7 "When courting a sow, the boar makes a purring sound on a low note accompanied by what I call a war dance..."

This is not just when a piggy is courting, it is also performed as a display of dominance and/or aggression. We've all seen it I'm sure.

Purring and stretching out on your lap when you're petting your piggy is a GOOD sign.

If you want a really good, comprehensive list of noises, meanings and examples, try this:

http://jackiesguineapiggies.com/guineapigsounds.html

Guinea Pigs, do not purr. They Brrr, when they are frigtened or to tell you they don't like it for example if I stroke my pigs the opposite direction they will Brr to make me aware they are not amused!

My girls make 4 types of rumbles/purrs

1. Buzzing - which is the fear thing, almost like very fast shaking, quivering.
2. Alarm Rumble - Where they hear a noise they don't like and one will give off an alarm call, which causes them all to freeze then run off.
3. Rumble Strutting - Almost like a dance, where one wiggles it's bum, moving from one foot to another. My Dominant female does this to keep the others in check and to assert herself. Like a display.
4. Purring - When scratching two of mine on the shoulders/back. It is indistinguisable from the Rumble Strutting sound above, but is constant rather than a short rumble like the alarm call.

-Carma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back