• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

I seriously don't know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cinnamon

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Oh gosh, I am such a bad owner,
So i had to go on camp for 3 days, and Cinnamon and Chocy have been with Sweetpea,
Ever since that I have been finding little line black things (like 0.2mm long) on strands of their fur!?
I do not know what this is, I really need help and I am extremely worried..
") I will try and take pictures!

Can you see them moving around? Maybe lice . . . you're not a bad owner though, whatever it is, I'm sure it's not a huge deal and will be fine :)

Hi there

From your description I would say that it is most likely to be 'static lice' which are actually hay mites. A new source of hay will be a good idea once the piggies and their cage have been cleared of them.

There's more info here at Gorgeous Guineas
http://www.gorgeousguineas.com/parasitic.html

I can't advise on which treatment to use as I'm not familar with products available in Australia but know that GG's products are highly recommended.

Suzy x

Thanks!
Oh gosh, where else do we get hay!? lol.
We'll try and figure something out..
:D

According to my vets, you can try freeze/thawing a small bag of hay in a domestic freezer (24 hours freeze, 24 hours thaw x 2) to reduce the possibility of mite infection.

Johnsons small animal insecticidal shamppo if you can get it is good. Otherwise try Xeno450 spot on treatment.

However be advised that if a piggie developes a lice or mite infection it means they are "below par" so you need to be aware they may be other symptoms and other issues to watch out for.

HTH
x

There is no other problems I have seen with them..
Ok so we haven't wormed them (OMG) so we got the worming stuff today its this:
media.nl

it does not say what to do with it, put it in water, or feed it in their mouth!
:)>>>
We also got a Mite and Mange SPRAY:
BJetqiBWbD-1.jpg
With that do I just spray it on the guinea pigs and their cages?

Thank you :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back