• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

I should persevere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I had my nightly cuddle with a piggie earlier. I take it in turns with them because I cant pick Tam up and feel comfy carrying her from the back of the house to the living room. She went into her homemade pouch for me and i carried her through to the other room quite happily. When she is on my lap she is really fidgity. And wheeks alot. Once settled she got comfy and didnt move too much. This is the only time I get to stroke and pet her, as she wont let me do it when she is in her cage, she also wont eat when she is on my lap.
When she is in her cage, she seems at her happiest. Shes the only one of my two girls that wheeks and talks to me when I am about. Shes the only one that will eat out of my hand, and come to the side of the cage for a natter. In my eyes she is very trusting of me. So why doesnt she like being handled.mallethead

Have you checked to make sure she hasnt got anything wrong as in something that bothers her when you touch her? Like under her fur or something?

I had a look tonight. Cant see anything. But shes fine with me petting her when shes on my lap. seemed to quite enjoy it

6 weeks isn't that long, if it's any consolation my girls dislike being picked up. You would think I was killing them. I think it's animal instinct as they are more than happy too come to me too have a chat, or to get food.

Patrick my boar, jumps out his cage onto your lap and Milo comes over to get his Chin scratched.

Esme my newest addition, will not allow me to pat her in the cage but she will come for food. Slow progress, perserve with it. They will get there but some pigs just don't like being picked up!

Gaga on the other hand lets me pick her up. We touch noses,she lets me brush her, she sits quite happily on me. But will not eat out of my hand, and hardly ever wheeks.

Two totally different personalities.

I've had mine 6month's and two out of five don't like me picking them up one purred for the first time two day's ago when stroking her in her cage and the other is only just coming up to sniff my hand, they sometime's need alot of time to get used to us,.

I think with Tam its just a personal space issue. I shall carry on getting her out, and she will get used to me.lol. Little madam

What coat type is she? I really noticed that our pigs only like being patted in the direction where their coat naturally falls- they don't like their fur being 'ruffled' in the opposite direction. This is a non-issue with our silkie cross and our short haired, but when we had an abyssinian she really did not like her fur being pushed out of place. We used to tell the kids to just pat her head because the full body pat would get her very agitated! Other than that, I think it just comes down to personality types... I've had pigs who are major lap-pigs and ones who are happier running around and ones who have been somewhere in between. She may mellow out as she gets a bit older too... mine always relaxed with age, even the aby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back