I Think I Want More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galaxy&nibbles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I love my two babies to bits and would love to spend 24/7 showering them with love and attention etc but I find myself wanting to adopt more lol. I just love the thought of giving some more unwanted piggies a loving home.. Would this be unfair on the two I've already got or would it be nice having some more, maybe they could all have floor time together? Opinions please

natz88

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I would love to have more than my two but I just haven't got the room for any more cages! Adopting more would feel so satisfying though knowing you are giving more piggies the love and attention they deserve.

didipiggywiggly

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I started with 2 boys last year, I now have adopted another 3! - I have a singleton because he fights with everyone/thing.... the real victor meldrew of the piggy world!. I Also have adopted 2 pairs of piggy boars . So 5 in total and plenty of love for them all. I keep saying no more..... but am such a sucker for hard luck stories and situations when I see them on the rehome sites, I cant resist. MUST control myself :))

luckily I have a room just for them , and my hubby indulges me with specially built ' guinea wharf housing'
:tu:

ayemee

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
When I started out with my first two I ended up adopting two more. The more you learn and experience with them, the more you want to look after another one and another one!

Chief Guinea Pig

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I do not think it would be unfair on the other piggies as they would be getting more friends.
As long as they all get along. It sounds a great idea, there are many unwanted piggies at rescues wanting homes. :)

Abi_nurse

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I ended up with a lot of piggies, and I don't think it means they particularly get less attention. The only part about having lots I would say is being able to have the time and patience to clean out. My 18 take a long while to do every week and although I love all of them I am determined to have them down to one or two cages as having lots of groups takes longer. I love watching them interact through.

Whatever you do I'm sure you'll do just fine. : )

x

Galaxy&nibbles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Well... Hubby insisted on taking me to the pet store to look at the ones up for adoption and what can I say- I fell in love with another 2 boars lol. I'm such a sucker or them. They apparently used to fight but have since been neutered for this reason (is this likely to cause any problems?) I am building another 2 level cage under the one already built hehehe and then going to get them tomorrow. Hubby took a pic of one- here he is:

Attachments

ayemee

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Awwwh lovely. Neutering doesn't change behaviour with guinea pigs.

Are they getting along still? :)

Guinea pigs are addictive I swear. You just want to adopt more and more!

Galaxy&nibbles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The man said they haven't had a fight since being done. It was apparently 2 weeks ago. I'm hoping they will get on ok?! I'm so excited hehe. They have been there since September and were bought back as not wanted :-( one is long haired like galaxy and nibbles and the other short haired!

aimzer

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
As said, neutering doesn't change the behaviour in guinea pigs. It really amazes me how little pet store workers actually know about the animals! How old are they?

Carrotyd

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
As said, neutering doesn't change the behaviour in guinea pigs. It really amazes me how little pet store workers actually know about the animals! How old are they?
Took my two to the vets for the first time a couple of weeks ago and she told me to get them neutered to prevent them "turning on each other" later down the line.

I told her I'd taken advice on this from other owners and a rescue pal of mine who said it makes no difference, and she sounded surprised to hear this.

Just because it might work on some small animals, doesn't mean it does for everyone!

aimzer

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Took my two to the vets for the first time a couple of weeks ago and she told me to get them neutered to prevent them "turning on each other" later down the line.

I told her I'd taken advice on this from other owners and a rescue pal of mine who said it makes no difference, and she sounded surprised to hear this.

Just because it might work on some small animals, doesn't mean it does for everyone!
Exactly. I think people think that because it works for rabbits, it will work for guinea pigs too :/

Galaxy&nibbles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I found this out on another post I made after bringing my boys home. Yesterday I was told between 6months and a year and today I was told probably around a year. I think they are bigger than galaxy and nibbles and was told nearly a month ago those 2 are between 6 months and a year. So truthfully I have no idea.

JRS1990

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Piggies are so addictive.

I had a single boar, and i stupidly listened to people saying boars didn't like boars. So I got him neutered and got him a girlfriend. Unfortunately he didn't get over the op properly (he was the one in 100 who reacts to the suture material) and passed away 6 months later. So I got my sow a friend...then she popped some babies out (pregnant when we got her) and it just spiralled from there!

I now have 15. But I still want more more more. I always find time for them all, But I struggle to find anyone to have them when we want to go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.