• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

I think I'm getting there!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi all, I asked for some help last week about keeping my piggies warm & toastie in their outside hutches.
I took the advice of several people (XXTHANKSXX) and bought some insulation from wikes and managed to insulate both hutches (which was brilliant)
This is the girls hutch
007.jpg

This is my effort so far....
I half sealed the large windows
008-1.jpg

Then I covered the outside in insulation
007-1.jpg

Then I covered it in waterproof dogs towls
011-1.jpg

Then a blanket for the icy cold weather
012.jpg

I've just got to get a snuggle cover made or make one myself.

The boys hutch already has a snuggle cover so I just added bits for extra warm.
001.jpg

The insulation
009-1.jpg

010-1.jpg

The beds
002-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

And finally the blanket for the icy cold days
005.jpg

And I still wasn't totally happy about the set up so I started to think about what I could do about it.
Whilst having a conversation with my brother (not the guinea pig lover) he said it's a pity you didn't buy that bigger gazebo with the side panels (which was to big for the corner where the piggies are).
So I thought whats waterproof or the next best thing ......shower curtains
so I bought 4 thick shower curtains and covered the the sides & back, then I added to clear (ish) shower curtains to cover the front.
So at night time when the temperature really falls I just shut the curtains and it's a lot warmer and more toastie.
I've even bought a thermometer to check the temperature through out the day.
004-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

003-2.jpg

006-2.jpg

Wow, what an excellent job, you really have put some thought into this. My piggies are outside, too, in a stable and am getting worried about the drop in temperature now. I think I might use some of your brilliant ideas to insulate their hutches. Thanks again.

Thanks for that but the insulation ideas aren't my ideas, I asked for help on here and a lady called Clare (I think ?) posted pictures of her outside hutches and I think a human could have lived in them as they looked so snugg.
But lots of people mentioned this insulation from wickes, it cost me around £18 for it (but there is loads) on the pink hutch it's insulated twice.
If it helps the waterproof dog towls are from poundland but I needed 4 to do the top half of my girls hutch and the fleeces are from Tesco's £2 each (loads of colours too).
The snuggle beds are little dogs beds from wilkos and they're £2.49 each.
A HUGE THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED ME OUT and I now feel a lot happier knowing that my piggies won't be so cold.

You've done a great job. Love the gazebo! I hope to clear some space in the outhouse down the garden for my boys v soon. In the meantime I have stapled foil-backed bubble wrap over the sides/back/top. I made a cover from clear tarpaulin. I have also now put a fleece blanket over the top and front for nights (and I keep it pulled over the bedroom side all day). Inside they have LOADS of hay and fleece cosy cavies snuggles. I have just taken delivery of a snugglepad (heat pad). I noticed their waterbottle which was inside all of the above was not esp cold at all this morning despite the frost.

That looks fantastic. Well done. Love the shower curtains. Genius. :(|)

LOL I just couldn't think of anything else waterproof and they had an offer on in argos so I thought why not.
Although I must say the sales assistant looked at me strangely for buying 6 shower curtains, she must think I have a very large bathroom or lots of bathrooms lol.

woweeeeee....love the girls PINK bit!

Wanna come round and design my cages lol

Hope the spoilt piggies love it all x

That's the work of my little girl Georgia-Mae (she's 7 bless her) she wanted the pink princess castle for her princesses, only problem now is that she wants me to buy the train design or fire engine design (from the same company) for my boys so I'm like erm no Georgia I think Alfie & Albie are fine in the normal brown cage lol.
I was instructed by her to make sure that I only bought pink things hence the pink blankets, pink toys, pink food bowls........bet you can't guess what her favourite colour is?

if you have B&Q or Focus, near buy they sell some silver bubble wrap space insulation, whick keeps the heat in. its very cheap, you could then staple it around the sides and back of the hutch for extra warmth as i think we are going to have a very cold winter...

if you have B&Q or Focus, near buy they sell some silver bubble wrap space insulation, whick keeps the heat in. its very cheap, you could then staple it around the sides and back of the hutch for extra warmth as i think we are going to have a very cold winter...

Umm I'm not sure if it's the same thing that I've already bought, it's like tiny bubble wrap with a silver backing?

aww bless, i soooo missed out on the pink thing when i was little! :(

lol I have 2 girls and lots of pink stuff which I suppose is ok cos it's all of our favourite colour.
I have 2 older brothers so I can't remember having lots of pink in my childhood either maybe thats why I love it now x)

Awww well done! :)) I used the showe curtain idea as a waterproof hutch snuggler :))! It looks like you have a great set up well done ! :))

xxThanks xx Just hope they're warm enough cos if it's as cold this year as it was last year then god knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back