• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

I think my Guinea pig is dying

lialooszoo

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I think my guinea pig bibble has a respiratory infection, he has all the symptoms of a respiratory infection but the odd thing is he keeps trying to roll on his back. I’ve never seen him do this before. Guinea pigs don’t try to roll on their back because of how fragile their spines are? It’s horrible to see. This has come on so suddenly as well. It’s a Sunday today so the vets are closed- I’m taking him to the earliest appointment tomorrow morning. Bibble is not drinking or eating, he keeps refusing to eat which is not him at all. I’ve been giving him water through a syringe, and I’ve tried syringe feeding him but I don’t know if it’s dangerous or not. I’ve been watering down his nuggets and mushing them down with water? How frequently should I give him water and how frequently should I syringe feed him? Do you think he has had a stroke and that’s why he keeps trying to roll on his back or do you think he is dying. My heart is so broken I’ve been non stop crying. If tomorrow morning the vets say that he is drying and the kindest thing we can do is to put him down it’s going to absolutely tear me up. He has a brother and they are best friends. Bumble Bibbles brother had a big stroke 2 years ago and he is now blind- the result from the stroke. I don’t know how bumble is going to handle life without bibble. Bumble relies on bibble for everything. Bibble has been bumbles support system and guide for 2 whole years. I just don’t know how bumble will handle it. Advise would be so appreciated. How do I keep bibble comfortable?

Are you in the UK? All UK vets have emergency out of hours covers, so if you are in the Uk, then he must be taken to a vet right now. I can’t comment on any other country’s emergency out of hours cover.

I’m assuming he isn’t receiving treatment for a respiratory infection at this point?

Mushed pellets is a good thing to use as a syringe feed. You feed them as much as they can take at each sitting and enough over a 24 hour period to maintain their weight (you also need to weigh A poorly piggy daily so you can judge they are getting enough feed).
However, syringe feeding is only any good while a piggy is able to swallow. If his system is shutting down then he will not be able to take food, and he must be seen by a vet.

Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment
Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

I think my guinea pig bibble has a respiratory infection, he has all the symptoms of a respiratory infection but the odd thing is he keeps trying to roll on his back. I’ve never seen him do this before. Guinea pigs don’t try to roll on their back because of how fragile their spines are? It’s horrible to see. This has come on so suddenly as well. It’s a Sunday today so the vets are closed- I’m taking him to the earliest appointment tomorrow morning. Bibble is not drinking or eating, he keeps refusing to eat which is not him at all. I’ve been giving him water through a syringe, and I’ve tried syringe feeding him but I don’t know if it’s dangerous or not. I’ve been watering down his nuggets and mushing them down with water? How frequently should I give him water and how frequently should I syringe feed him? Do you think he has had a stroke and that’s why he keeps trying to roll on his back or do you think he is dying. My heart is so broken I’ve been non stop crying. If tomorrow morning the vets say that he is drying and the kindest thing we can do is to put him down it’s going to absolutely tear me up. He has a brother and they are best friends. Bumble Bibbles brother had a big stroke 2 years ago and he is now blind- the result from the stroke. I don’t know how bumble is going to handle life without bibble. Bumble relies on bibble for everything. Bibble has been bumbles support system and guide for 2 whole years. I just don’t know how bumble will handle it. Advise would be so appreciated. How do I keep bibble comfortable?

Hi!

Please google for out-of-hours or 24 hour vet clinics in your area (there is UK-wide cover even in lockdown; health emergencies with pets are a valid reason for travel) and see whether there are any open ones within your reach, first and foremost.

Otherwise, please follow the advice in the two green links. It is very practical, detailed and step by step in a way that we cannot put in just one post and takes you through all aspects of emergency care and what to do if you are worried that your piggy may be dying.
We can unfortunately not tell you what is exactly going on without a hands-on examination and without any veterinary qualifications ourselves.
A Practical and Sensitive Guide to Dying, Terminal Illness and Euthanasia in Guinea Pigs

Fingers very firmly crossed.

Are you in the UK? All UK vets have emergency out of hours covers, so if you are in the Uk, then he must be taken to a vet right now. I can’t comment on any other country’s emergency out of hours cover.

I’m assuming he isn’t receiving treatment for a respiratory infection at this point?

Mushed pellets is a good thing to use as a syringe feed. You feed them as much as they can take at each sitting and enough over a 24 hour period to maintain their weight (you also need to weigh A poorly piggy daily so you can judge they are getting enough feed).
However, syringe feeding is only any good while a piggy is able to swallow. If his system is shutting down then he will not be able to take food, and he must be seen by a vet.

Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide
Thank you for your advise, we can’t take him down for an emergency because it is just way too expensive. Me and my family have been really struggling with money recently so taking him up for an emergency is not an option unfortunately. We’re taking him first thing in the morning

Could you borrow money from someone to pay for the vet visit? I’m sorry you’re between a rock and a hard place. But it cannot wait.

Could you borrow money from someone to pay for the vet visit? I’m sorry you’re between a rock and a hard place. But it cannot wait.
Well I don’t talk to any of my dads side as we have stopped talking. Me, my mum & my sisters all live alone. My dad walked out on us. My mum brothers are very selfish with money and wouldn’t even consider it. And my grandad also really struggles with money. Just no way we can do it. Tomorrow the cost of the vets will be over 200 pound. And If he doesn’t make it and Deteriorates we will have not only to pay for putting him to sleep but we will also have to pay for cremation. We’re just not able to do it. It’s breaking mine and my mum and sisters hearts.

Hi!

Please google for out-of-hours or 24 hour vet clinics in your area (there is UK-wide cover even in lockdown; health emergencies with pets are a valid reason for travel) and see whether there are any open ones within your reach, first and foremost.

Otherwise, please follow the advice in the two green links. It is very practical, detailed and step by step in a way that we cannot put in just one post and takes you through all aspects of emergency care and what to do if you are worried that your piggy may be dying.
We can unfortunately not tell you what is exactly going on without a hands-on examination and without any veterinary qualifications ourselves.
A Practical and Sensitive Guide to Dying, Terminal Illness and Euthanasia in Guinea Pigs

Fingers very firmly crossed.
Thank you for your advise. We are not able to pay for emergency treatment. It’s just not an option.

Follow the guides that Wiebke linked to earlier. And continue with syringe feeding. You’ll have to do it every 1-2 hours for now and maybe once before bed. Hopefully he will be okay until tomorrow.

Follow the guides that Wiebke linked to earlier. And continue with syringe feeding. You’ll have to do it every 1-2 hours for now and maybe once before bed. Hopefully he will be okay until tomorrow.
Thank you very much for advise, me and my family really appreciate it. I just and pray he pulls through and it is just respiratory infection that he can recover from with antibiotics and pain killers. Thanks again

So sorry to read the awful predicament you are in. If you can keep him fed and watered until the vet appt then that’s the very best you can do. Hope you can get him better with the vets help x

So sorry to read the awful predicament you are in. If you can keep him fed and watered until the vet appt then that’s the very best you can do. Hope you can get him better with the vets help x
Thank you so much for your lovely message. He seems to have a little bit of appetite at the moment and is drinking a little bit more so fingers crossed!

I’m so sorry for the predicament you are in :( It’s hard when we don’t have the money for the vets. Hopefully he can last until tomorrow and he will get better with treatment x

I’m so sorry for the predicament you are in :( It’s hard when we don’t have the money for the vets. Hopefully he can last until tomorrow and he will get better with treatment x
Thank you so much I appreciate your kind words x

When one of my piggies was unwell after an op it took two of us to syringe feed. We found wrapping a tea towel around him helped. Thinking of you x

So sorry for the dreadful situation you are in. Have you thought about contacting the PDSA?

I'm really sorry to hear about your situation. 😩 I hope he recovers soon. Xx

So sorry for the dreadful situation you are in. Have you thought about contacting the PDSA?
I haven’t heard of PDSA before? Bibble is making a bit improvement and it seems very promising. He’s not starting to drink more and is now eating quite a bit! I just hope and pray he is stating to make a recovery slowly but surely!

PDSA is a UK based organisation that supports people with sick animals who for whatever reason can’t afford vet bills.
Hope he holds on until morning but you are going to have a very long and anxious night.
Holding you in my thoughts

Make sure you syringe feed him fibre rich food (mushed pellets or recovery feed) regularly and switch to weighing him daily so you can really be sure he is getting enough food as you can’t judge hay intake by eye. Watching them eating hay can be deceptive.
I hope he is ok

Back