• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

I think my guinea pig is sick?

apple1999

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello there. I have two guinea pigs. About an hour ago, one of my guinea pig started to make this really weird noise. I can't describe it well but it's short and continuous, and it sounds like an oink. It's a deep sounding voice. I've gone onto many websites to see if any of the sounds match what she's making but I can't find it. It also comes and gos, sometimes loud and sometimes quiet. She also does this thing where I also can't describe it. It's almost like she choked on something and she closes her eyes and rubs her face a little. Then it's gone. It sometimes comes back now and then. I saw somewhere that sometimes guinea pig noses gets a little bit wet but I'm unsure if it's factual. The other guinea pig I own doesn't do any of the things she's doing, no noises and no actions.

In conclusion, I'm afraid my guinea pig's sick but I don't know if it's something I'm paranoid about or something serious. There's also another concern where I think the vet around where I live, Canada, is very expensive. I don't know if I am able to afford the vet bills. It's not that I don't want to, it's just that I'm afraid I might not be able to pay.

Please help if you can to maybe identify what my guinea pig is doing because it concerns me a little. Thank you so so much. :)

Hello there. I have two guinea pigs. About an hour ago, one of my guinea pig started to make this really weird noise. I can't describe it well but it's short and continuous, and it sounds like an oink. It's a deep sounding voice. I've gone onto many websites to see if any of the sounds match what she's making but I can't find it. It also comes and gos, sometimes loud and sometimes quiet. She also does this thing where I also can't describe it. It's almost like she choked on something and she closes her eyes and rubs her face a little. Then it's gone. It sometimes comes back now and then. I saw somewhere that sometimes guinea pig noses gets a little bit wet but I'm unsure if it's factual. The other guinea pig I own doesn't do any of the things she's doing, no noises and no actions.

In conclusion, I'm afraid my guinea pig's sick but I don't know if it's something I'm paranoid about or something serious. There's also another concern where I think the vet around where I live, Canada, is very expensive. I don't know if I am able to afford the vet bills. It's not that I don't want to, it's just that I'm afraid I might not be able to pay.

Please help if you can to maybe identify what my guinea pig is doing because it concerns me a little. Thank you so so much. :)

Hi!

Please have your piggy vet checked as soon as possible.

Sorry, your description is too vague to allow us to even guess. If you can take a video, upload it elsewhere and copy/paste into a forum post that would help us but you are likely still getting the same advice - you need to see a vet.

(this is a reupload with a video)

/Users/itsayamwithchocolatemilk/Downloads/20200805_140030.mp4

this is a link to the video of my guinea pig's noise. I hope it works. Please don't mind her eating hay because it was the only way I could get her to record the sound. Turn on the volume for the best audio.

(this is a reupload with a video)

/Users/itsayamwithchocolatemilk/Downloads/20200805_140030.mp4

this is a link to the video of my guinea pig's noise. I hope it works. Please don't mind her eating hay because it was the only way I could get her to record the sound. Turn on the volume for the best audio.

Hi!
Unfortunately the link doesn't work,

I uploaded it to youtube. I hope it works, sorry for the problem.

Have you checked whether she has got something stuck in the mouth or nose?

Have you checked whether she has got something stuck in the mouth or nose?
Yes I have. There's no signs of nasal discharge and her mouth seems to have nothing stuck in it as far as I can see. She has been eating too so I don't think any is stuck.

Yes I have. There's no signs of nasal discharge and her mouth seems to have nothing stuck in it as far as I can see. She has been eating too so I don't think any is stuck.

Have you held your ear against the nose, throat and chest to see where the sound is coming from?

If the sounds ongoing and does not disappear after within a few hours or the breathing is getting worse, then please see a vet. Guinea pig airways are very narrow and small; they also don't breathe much through the mouth so even the smallest obstruction can create rather alarming sounds; the harmless ones usually disappear, often after a good sneeze.

Unfortunately, we are very limited in a number of of areas because we don't have direct access to guinea pigs, nor are we trained vets. And with anything that relies on the owner's perception, descriptions can vary massively.

Have you held your ear against the nose, throat and chest to see where the sound is coming from?

If the sounds ongoing and does not disappear after within a few hours or the breathing is getting worse, then please see a vet. Guinea pig airways are very narrow and small; they also don't breathe much through the mouth so even the smallest obstruction can create rather alarming sounds; the harmless ones usually disappear, often after a good sneeze.

Unfortunately, we are very limited in a number of of areas because we don't have direct access to guinea pigs, nor are we trained vets. And with anything that relies on the owner's perception, descriptions can vary massively.
I've just now held her and yes. Her breathing is a bit loud like panting, and sometimes the sound gets blocked. I think she might have the cold. Do you think it's okay to bring her to the vet tomorrow? It is because I have something to do today and I can't cancel it.

Guinea pigs don’t get colds. Sooner the better really. Could you get an appointment early or late? Though I think it may be nighttime there now so it will have to be tomorrow.

Guinea pigs don’t get colds. Sooner the better really. Could you get an appointment early or late? Though I think it may be nighttime there now so it will have to be tomorrow.
I can only get an appointment for tomorrow since it's almost going to be late. It seems the noise she's making is starting to lessen but I think I might still go to the vet.

Take her in anyway. Do let us know how you get on, I hope it’s nothing.

I've just now held her and yes. Her breathing is a bit loud like panting, and sometimes the sound gets blocked. I think she might have the cold. Do you think it's okay to bring her to the vet tomorrow? It is because I have something to do today and I can't cancel it.

Hi!

Guinea pigs get a bacterial respiratory infection but not a viral cold like humans. If the congestion in the airways is not going away within a fairly short space of time or if the breathing is getting worse (especially crackly and raspy) then please see a vet promptly for investigation and likely an antibiotic. Hopefully it is just some hay dust or dry air from a fully working air condition unit.

URI (upper respiratory tract infection) is rather common in newly bought pet shop guinea pigs but it can also be triggered by the blast from air conditioning, espectially if the cage in directly in the stream. An untreated URI can be a potential killer/cause permanent damage, which is why we urge anybody to have their piggy vet checked if there is any suspicion for it. that is also the reason why a vet will prescribe an antibiotic if there is the least doubt.
New guinea pigs: Sexing, vet checks&customer rights, URI, ringworm and parasites

Your case still sounds on the mild and not yet on the life-threatening side, so it is OK to contact your vets first thing in the morning unless your piggy suddenly goes off their food or becomes lethargic with heaving or clicky breathing (symptoms of pneumonia).

All the best!

Back