• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

I think one of my piggie broke her leg?

Nekochan1121

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So I picked up my piggies this morning to check their weight as usually. Somehow Pudding decided to jump back to her cage for the first time. She landed funny and made a loud squeak then ran back to her hide out. I wanted to check on her but she was scared so I let her be for the rest of the weight check. After 2 hours, I feed them their daily pea flake and she walk out funny and had 1 of her back leg up. I was so worry and feed Pudding more food and she is eating fine and respond to my call just fine. I picked her up and noticed she did not have any strength on the back leg and made a super tiny wheek when I touch it. the feet does not look swollen or any scare so I put her back in the cage and she was walking around and ate more food just fine. I had 8 hours shift so I checked on her as soon as I got home. She is still doing the same and I already made a vet appointment for Pudding on Monday (Since they dont open on Sunday), but I still really worry did I broke one of her leg or something happened here that I can fix :(. I do not have pain killer for piggies or afford any bills that is over $200. So please anything help :(.

Don’t feel bad, it’s not your fault, things like this happen. Go see your vets on Monday, they are the only people who are qualified to help her. If she is eating pooping and peeing fine then just keep an eye on her until then. Good luck with your little one x

Aw bless her. Don't feel bad, these things happen. Chances are it's just a sprain where she has landed funny but the vet will be able to tell you more. Good luck tomorrow x

So I picked up my piggies this morning to check their weight as usually. Somehow Pudding decided to jump back to her cage for the first time. She landed funny and made a loud squeak then ran back to her hide out. I wanted to check on her but she was scared so I let her be for the rest of the weight check. After 2 hours, I feed them their daily pea flake and she walk out funny and had 1 of her back leg up. I was so worry and feed Pudding more food and she is eating fine and respond to my call just fine. I picked her up and noticed she did not have any strength on the back leg and made a super tiny wheek when I touch it. the feet does not look swollen or any scare so I put her back in the cage and she was walking around and ate more food just fine. I had 8 hours shift so I checked on her as soon as I got home. She is still doing the same and I already made a vet appointment for Pudding on Monday (Since they dont open on Sunday), but I still really worry did I broke one of her leg or something happened here that I can fix :(. I do not have pain killer for piggies or afford any bills that is over $200. So please anything help :(.

Hi!

Is she unable to put any weight on the leg at all or just painful, but can put a little weight on her leg when walking?
In the first place, she has broken her leg somewhere between her hip or toes. In the second case, it is just a bad sprain somewhere along the leg. The second is not uncommon.

Please follow our picking up tips to avoid premature jumps and use a conveyance of some sort, like a tunnel or a box. If you carry your piggies in your hands, always put them back facing you, so if they happen to blind jump, they have a soft impact with your body.
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig

The above link is part of our new owners helpful tips and information collection, which you may find both useful and interesting. We are addressing all the areas we get the most questions and concerns about from new members to help them to as smooth a start as possible.
Getting Started - New Owners' Most Helpful Guides

@Wiebke No, she tried to avoid using that leg completely. She is still walking around but less active than before and I can see she is just dragging that hurt leg.

@Wiebke No, she tried to avoid using that leg completely. She is still walking around but less active than before and I can see she is just dragging that hurt leg.

All the best for getting an appointment today. It rather sounds like a break unfortunately. Please try to confine her so she uses her leg as little as possible to minimise any further damage.

The sooner she gets pain relief, the better!

I always use a towel when handling my piggies whether it be nail and hair cutting or just picking them up for cuddles. I don’t trust myself that I will handle my piggies with 100% confidence. There is always a chance they will jump off also.

Back