• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

I think our little piggy is pregnant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
dd saved all her birthday money and Christmas money to buy a piggy hutch, so with spring coming she bought 2 male piggy, but in sure one is having babies, we have worked out that she is a bout 14 weeks old. surly she is far to young to give birth. and how far on in pregnancy is she. she seems to have a larger bulge at one side of her tummy. I really want to do everything i can to make her comfortable. any advice would be much appreciated.

Hi and welcome :)
Oh gosh.........this is so typical......... i'm sorry it's happened to you and the little piggie :(
Go into our pregnancy area and put up a thread there......you will find the more experienced people will be able to help you :)
All the best, and please update you'll find that having someone to talk you thru it all will help

Glynis, Velvet and Onyx x

Sorry meant to add............can you put up pictures this will help everyone to advise you :)
Do the pics from top and sides.......... you would be best to speak to your vets, we have a recommended vets list on our website, if unsure please ask and state where you are :)

Thanks going to make an appointment for the vets on monday. yes it was a complete surprise that were going to have babies piggies, the thing that is worrying me i think she might be 8 weeks pregnant and were going away on the 8th April and didn't really want to be away when she gives birth.

Just wanted to say try not to worry if she is pregnant, we found ourselves in a very similar situation when we adopted 2 "boys" from the RSPCA. Alvin turned out to be a girl and gave birth to two healthy babies on 2nd June last year. She herself had only been born on the 8th February! We were actually away on hoilday the day the babies came, as you can imagine my poor piggy sitting mum in law got a bit of a shock...she was meant to be taking Alvin to the vet later that day as she suspected that she wasn't really a he!
Hope all works out well for you, we were lucky and were able to keep hold of our babies as they were both girls. :)

Thank guys just want to do our best for her, going to separate them today, i really don't think he will be happy about it though. he follows her around everywhere and nuzzles up to her all the time. i have tried to figure out when she will have the babies. they were 8 weeks old when we got then and we've had then 5 weeks so i presume she got pregnant a 4 week so my guess is she will be 9 week gone do you think this could be about right.

Aw it's sad that you have to separate them.

What I would do, is either get the boy neutered while they are separated, so that when the babies are old enough to go to new homes, then the boy can go back in with his girlfriend. :)

Or if you want more piggies :)) Then you could keep a baby boy to live with the dad, and a girl to live with the mom :)

Hi and welcome!

I am so sorry about your problem. Hopefully, the vet visit will go well.

It is good that you are separating mum and dad. Mummy comes into season within our of giving birth. You will also need to separate any male pups at three weeks old to prevent the next round of accidents; any male pups can go and live with dad.

Make sure that gets double the amount of vitamin C, best in form of vitamin C rich veg like peppers of all colours or broccoli. Don't give parsley until after the birth; it contains a compound that may trigger labour. Raspberry leaves, dried or fresh are also good for pregnant sows. Guinea pig can't produce vitamin C in their bodies. You need extra for the babies to build up their own store.

You will need to give more calcium, ideally by adding some alfalfa hay until the end of the nursning period. Then they will be able to eat good quility pellets. That is for the pups' bones.

Don't worry; most first and early pregnancies go well.

Here is more information:
http://www.guinealynx.info/reproduction.html, also links labor and faq
http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/pregnancy.htm
http://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have in our pregnancy section.

separated mr mrs smith yesterday tea time which was heart breaking for him he went into total panic because he couldn't find her. she didn't seem to bothered by it though until this morning when she couldn't get down stairs her teeth was chattering and he went into panic mode again. so i let them spend a few hours together this afternoon then separated them again at bed time just in case she has the babies during the night, i hope I'm doing the right thing by doing this. i hope I'm giving mrs smith enough vitamin c for tea she has orange apple and celery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back