• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

I Think Roddy Is Lonely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galaxy&nibbles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
After the loss of fuzzums and it possibly being contagious obviously Roddy is now alone. I don't know if he is just grieving or he is lonely. He is still eating but he's not doing much and he isn't going downstairs in his cage. Will more of my company be enough for him for the moment, is it better to leave him alone in his comfort zone or what? I have read the bereaved piggy bit but I still have questions. Is there anything I can do make him happier?

Keep him company, he will probably appreciate the interaction of cuddles, treats and run time to occupy him. He probably will be less active and a bit more down in the dumps while he has no one to play with and snuggle with. Give him a little time to adjust to Fuzzums not being around, then it might be worth considering boar dating at a rescue to find him a compatible friend to interact with again :)

I think he'd prefer to be with you with cuddles, when he's had a little time to adjust and if he's young enough you could think of trying to get him a new friend from a rescue?

It's hard when my old guinea pig chocolate lost her buddy she was too old to get a friend as she was 7 years old, i just had to give a lot more time to her and gave her more cuddles and attention...

I'm sorry he's lonely at the moment, it is hard, i hope you can find a solution for him! :)

I have 2 lonely boys at the moment and have found that they are actively seeking more attention ,they wait for me to pick them up for cuddles
rather than run about as they used to- lot more neck snuggling and talking !

After the loss of fuzzums and it possibly being contagious obviously Roddy is now alone. I don't know if he is just grieving or he is lonely. He is still eating but he's not doing much and he isn't going downstairs in his cage. Will more of my company be enough for him for the moment, is it better to leave him alone in his comfort zone or what? I have read the bereaved piggy bit but I still have questions. Is there anything I can do make him happier?
Aw, I know how you feel! I have the option of either rehoming my one remaining female pig or getting another. I haven't decided yet and even though it's only been almost 2 weeks since her cage mate died and she's getting lots of time with me, I can tell she's not quite as happy as she was before. I'm waiting on finding out about the new job as I won't be home during the week and that will be the deciding factor. I hope that things start looking up for Roddy!

Oh your poor piggie :( I'm so sorry. It is heartbreaking to see them so lonely isnt it. I can honestly say that Ripple really grieved and it was so sad to see.

Yes I can really see a difference in Roddy. The worst part is he has to stay lonely for 2 weeks. I don't want another piggy but if it's what I have to do for him then I'll do it. Or if I can I'd rather try and bond him with my other 2. I've only got one boar dating rescue near me and they'd want him for a week, is that normal? I can't give him away for a week!
Does anyone have any tips on bonding 3, or bonding him another please. So I'm ready when the time comes

Poor Roddy, its so sad to see them on their own. It took us a long time to find a friend for Tango after we lost Cash and whilst he was initially ok by the end of it he was very depressed and used to spend all day just sitting in his tunnel bless him.

Are your other two piggies boys? If so I'd strongly advise not bonding them - trios are VERY unstable and you could end up with three single piggies if theres a falling out. If they're girls then neutering Roddy would be an option if you don't want to get another pig.

On the rescue front bonding taking place over a week is completely normal and will ensure you end up with two very happy and firmly bonded chaps. If Roddy is with the rescue for a week then they can make sure he is bonded to the most suitable companion and they can oversee any teething issues etc. Whilst you can do an on the spot bond its a lot better to be as thorough as possible. If its a forum recommended rescue then Roddy would be in the best of care too so I wouldn't worry about that!

Poor Roddy, its so sad to see them on their own. It took us a long time to find a friend for Tango after we lost Cash and whilst he was initially ok by the end of it he was very depressed and used to spend all day just sitting in his tunnel bless him.

Are your other two piggies boys? If so I'd strongly advise not bonding them - trios are VERY unstable and you could end up with three single piggies if theres a falling out. If they're girls then neutering Roddy would be an option if you don't want to get another pig.

On the rescue front bonding taking place over a week is completely normal and will ensure you end up with two very happy and firmly bonded chaps. If Roddy is with the rescue for a week then they can make sure he is bonded to the most suitable companion and they can oversee any teething issues etc. Whilst you can do an on the spot bond its a lot better to be as thorough as possible. If its a forum recommended rescue then Roddy would be in the best of care too so I wouldn't worry about that!
Yes my other 2 are boys.. I don't know if I could go without him for a week,I'd worry myself senseless! I want what's best for him but I'm very emotional and worry a whole heap so really don't think I'll be able to not have him for a week. If I was to try the on the spot bonding (though I don't think I have one near me that does it) how exactly does that work? Is he more likeLy to get on with a particular age or sex? (He is neutered)

Do you mind me asking which rescue it is that you're closest to? I'm sure other members on here could vouch for the care Roddy would receive and the quality of the bonding service. Most rescues will update you daily with your piggies bonding progress and health should you be concerned. I'd recommend getting in touch with the rescue and discussing your feelings, they may be able to ease your fears or offer you alternate advice.

As Roddy is neutered it could simplify your bonding process as it can be generally easier to do neutered boy/girl than boy/boy pairings but a bond will still need to be cautiously approached as always. The information at the bottom of this thread might be quite useful for you:
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/looking-after-a-bereaved-piggy.109674/

Piggy Palace and Crawley GPR are my nearest rescues too! They're both brilliant and highly recommended by other members on here.
If Roddy does have to go stay he'll be in brilliant hands, we took Wyatt to bond at Piggy Palace and they were willing to do an on the day boar/boar pairing though sadly Wyatt didn't want to be friends with any singles they had at the time.

Good luck!

Piggy Palace and Crawley GPR are my nearest rescues too! They're both brilliant and highly recommended by other members on here.
If Roddy does have to go stay he'll be in brilliant hands, we took Wyatt to bond at Piggy Palace and they were willing to do an on the day boar/boar pairing though sadly Wyatt didn't want to be friends with any singles they had at the time.

Good luck!
Thank you. According to their website they won't do boar pairing any more? I' e emailed both and just waiting for a reply. I will keep you updated, thank you

You could also contact Bobtails or East Peckham rescue. There may be a waiting list, as dating is very time consuming, so no small rescue can do lots at once, but it is worth it.

Crawley gpr doesn't often do boar/boar bonding due to time constraints but it's always worth asking and there could be the option of boar/sow too.

There's also ARC who you could consider contacting, based in the twickenham/Richmond area of greater london (we went to ARC for Ludo).

Or lumpy lodge going out towards Brighton but I'm not sure if they do bonding.

Found reading your post very touching. Bonding is a time consuming process and best left to the experts! It also depends on how many "singles" are available at the rescues. You may have to bite the bullet and go for it. A happier pig might be well worth the turmoil x

Hi all, thank you for all your replies. Well I contacted a couple of rescues. Lumpy lodge don't do boar dating so that's out of the question. I tried rscpa brighton and still awaiting a reply. Piggy palace got back to me saying they have several baby boars, so if I let them know a date and I can take Roddy to find a friend :-) am so pleased as I know he's going to have a new fried soon.. So after the 8th March he is out of his quarantine period and will hopefully come home with a new friend.. And they do a on the day bond, no future guarantee but said in theory if they get on well now there shouldn't be a problem. So fingers crossed :-) I must be honest, I think he's enjoying all the attention he's getting at the moment he won't want a new friend before long lol.image.jpg

He is gorgeous!
I once tried to bond Jack to Pumpkin and Boo (all boars) and all that happened was that all 3 had a massive fight - it was scary! So definately dont try that ;)
He will be so happy when he meets his new friends and its lucky that he is neutered as he will be able to choose a lady friend too, which might be easier :)

We are currently laying on the bed and he is proper snuggled into me. He's also been joining us at meal times at the table with his bowl of veggies hehe. I hope he'll be happier when he gets a new friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back