• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

I think Timmy might be poorly...

Tigermoth

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
How do you know?!
My worries are
He’s not interested in his nuggets.
He was sitting puffed up in the corner a couple of times yesterday
? A slight squeak to his breathing. So slight I could be imagining it.
No change in his weight

Vet is booked for 3.15.

My questions are...
What do I expect from the vet In terms of investigations?
If he thinks it’s a URTI then he will prescribe antibiotics, I presume I should get stuff for his guts too, just probiotics?

Anything else I need to think about?

Sorry to hear Timmy might be feeling poorly.

You are right that if the vet suspects an infection he will prescribe antibiotics. Well done for getting him seen so quickly.

I would also ask for a probiotic to have on standby, and make sure you are stocked up with syringes and critical care (or whatever recovery food you use) in case you need to step in with syringe feeding for a few days.

Good luck at the vet. :hug:

Sorry to hear Timmy might be feeling poorly.

You are right that if the vet suspects an infection he will prescribe antibiotics. Well done for getting him seen so quickly.

I would also ask for a probiotic to have on standby, and make sure you are stocked up with syringes and critical care (or whatever recovery food you use) in case you need to step in with syringe feeding for a few days.

Good luck at the vet. :hug:
Eep, I’ve never needed recovery food so I don’t have a go to. Typical that I’m on a day off and no access to syringes until Monday.

Obviously since I made the booking he has done nothing but eat hay and beg at the bars 😂

Your vet should quite happily give you a handful of 1 (and maybe 5)ml syringes. They cost pence, and most vets are quite generous with them given what a consult costs these days.
If not most pharmacies should sell them without needles (which you don't need anyway) - you just need to ask at the counter.

Eep, I’ve never needed recovery food so I don’t have a go to. Typical that I’m on a day off and no access to syringes until Monday.

Obviously since I made the booking he has done nothing but eat hay and beg at the bars 😂
Why is it always the way? They hear you on the phone and then say they're fine so they don't have to go!

Your vet should quite happily give you a handful of 1 (and maybe 5)ml syringes. They cost pence, and most vets are quite generous with them given what a consult costs these days.
If not most pharmacies should sell them without needles (which you don't need anyway) - you just need to ask at the counter.
Good luck at the vets Timmy x
If you buy any syringes from the pharmacy, don't mention that you are going to use them to feed a guinea pig. I was refused some, because I said they were for animal use. I really don't get why, as it is just a syringe and not a medication, but I was told that they wouldn't sell them to me for that use!

If you buy any syringes from the pharmacy, don't mention that you are going to use them to feed a guinea pig. I was refused some, because I said they were for animal use. I really don't get why, as it is just a syringe and not a medication, but I was told that they wouldn't sell them to me for that use!
Really? Honestly. I’ve messaged a colleague to ask her to drop me some in...

His breathing sounded fine a few minutes ago 🙄

I'm glad there's nothing wrong.
I had one with a similar diagnosis recently, felt a right twerp being told he was fit as a fiddle. I'd had a sleepless night worrying!

He's such a little poppet. They are a worry sometimes aren't they. Rusty is still worrying me a little bit too, I can't really explain it, as you say just a little flat.
I hope Timmy is bouncing around again soon.

Back