• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

I Wish I Had Never Made This Appointment For Frank....

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Furry Godmother

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I made him an appointment with a 'good' vet recommended, and he's saying Frank needs an X-Ray but he won't do it without GA which I know Frank won't survive. I'm not at the vets Cai is. I feel sick, I can't stop crying, I knew I'd lose him. I guess all I can do is wait and hope he pulls through the GA, but I'm not to hopeful.

I have so much work to do due in this week as well.

Just want my baby boy to be okay :'(

If they are a recommended vets they will be experienced in doing xrays with GA and so that should mean everything will be ok. It may even just be a whiff of gas. Do they think it is arthritis after all?

Cai didn't say, tbh I just wanted to get off the phone and left it in his hands, they said there's something wrong with his spine.

Oh ok, I can see why they want to do it under GA then as it does make it easier to get him into the position they need for the xray. Am keeping everything crossed.

I would not think it would take that long, but I have not had one of my own under GA before so am not sure on the timescales on that. Have you got anything you can distract yourself with?

I've got work I need to do, it's a massive report I haven't started and I have two days to do it. But I can't focus :'/

Cai said he's having it done now :/

Hopefully you will know soon. Maybe start even just preparing notes for your report so you don't sit watching the phone.

They will know to do it as lightly and quickly as possible, but if they feel the need to manipulate him into a certain position that could be a bit uncomfy, they will have to use a whiff of gas.

Is there something you can scrub really vigorously?

They will know to do it as lightly and quickly as possible, but if they feel the need to manipulate him into a certain position that could be a bit uncomfy, they will have to use a whiff of gas.

Is there something you can scrub really vigorously?

Scrub?

Yeah, just to work out your fears with some activity where it doesn't matter when you bash things around. It has helped in situations when I was struggling to concentrate on a job. Like deep cleaning bathroom tiles etc.

Yeah, just to work out your fears with some activity where it doesn't matter when you bash things around. It has helped in situations when I was struggling to concentrate on a job.

Thank you for this, I decided to start rearranging the desk and room :/ ha

Bert looks so sad though :( He's been really quiet since Frank left

It is always the worst bit of any procedure; the one I hate most. If you REALLY can't get your mind off, concentrate on sending Frank soothing and supporting thoughts instead of homing in on your fears.

They've asked if he'd had his pain relief today (I didn't give him any as I would rather them give what they feel they should), so they could give him some.
That was a few minutes or so ago, so just waiting now.

Obviously I should have more faith in my amazing piggy.
They're on the way back, not sure what he has, Cai said he'll tell me when he gets here - then I'll let you know as you may know something about whatever it is!
Thank you both for your support and help x

I have just remembered, one of my Robos had a whiff of gas a few months ago to have a lump drained and he came round in minutes.

Poor little mans diagnosis:

Osteomyglitis (Think this is the bone infection) - affecting his pelvis, femur and lumbral vertebrae
Arthritis in both knee joints
Spine is bridged between 6th and 7th

Vet suspects back injury in July was start of infection. I could swing for the vets we were at, they've screwed so much money out of me, for nothing. I doubt there's anything I can do either?

So 0.2ml baytril twice daily (I know about the probiotic, this is the 5th time) for a good few weeks.

Metacam still 0.5kg a day. I split it into 2 x 0.25kg a day.

Glucosamine I give twice daily. 2 x 1ml

I am also glad I made the app. and ever so grateful to Lance. I didn't mean anything towards him, I just didn't want to lose my boy! x

Glad that Frank has come round so well; I suspect they just used a whiff to keep him still. Sorry for the diagnosis; that's not quite what your would like to hear. The treatment sounds reasonable for an infection and arthritis.

We know ourselves how hard it is to entrust a fragile piggy to an operation/GA!

Glad that Frank has come round so well; I suspect they just used a whiff to keep him still. Sorry for the diagnosis; that's not quite what your would like to hear. The treatment sounds reasonable for an infection and arthritis.

We know ourselves how hard it is to entrust a fragile piggy to an operation/GA!

It's not great but he said, the bone infection should clear up with the baytril. Then it will be the pain management as I was doing for the arthritus and he should improve and have a good quality of life and become more active and such :)

It was hard :( but he's come out of it and I'm so relieved! So is Bert... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back