• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Ice pods in hutch; guinea pigs in boxes?!

Sally Newbie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi
So I have 2 ice pods in tea-towels in guineas' hutch plus water bottles w crushed ice. Guinea pigs sat in their sleeping boxes in sleeping area! Should I put the ice pods under the sleeping boxes or is that a bit cruel?! They stood on the pods to get hay and then went back off into their boxes again!

I just put the iced bottles in the cage (wrapped in fleece or a towel). If they want them they go lie down next to them.

Are they in their hutch or indoors?

Hi
So I have 2 ice pods in tea-towels in guineas' hutch plus water bottles w crushed ice. Guinea pigs sat in their sleeping boxes in sleeping area! Should I put the ice pods under the sleeping boxes or is that a bit cruel?! They stood on the pods to get hay and then went back off into their boxes again!

Hi!

If your piggies are moving off their ice pods, then it means that they are not feeling badly overheated. It is thankfully not as dangerously hot as in the Southeast. The pods will still cool the air around them, so you can see whether they will seek one out or not.

Please make sure that the hutch is in double shade.
Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike

Ah thanks for that @Wiebke and @Siikibam. I'm not sure if they've worked out that it's cooler on them! Which is why I wondered if I should put a pod in the sleeping area and the other part of the hutch. But if you think they will go on them if they feel hot I'll leave them in the empty part of the hutch whilst they sit in their boxes!

Ah thanks for that @Wiebke and @Siikibam. I'm not sure if they've worked out that it's cooler on them! Which is why I wondered if I should put a pod in the sleeping area and the other part of the hutch. But if you think they will go on them if they feel hot I'll leave them in the empty part of the hutch whilst they sit in their boxes!

Try to see whether they like them in the boxes or whether they move away.

Back