• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Ideal Weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hank288

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I weighed my guinea pigs for the first time yesterday as I was curious. Due to me enver weighing them before I have no idea what weight they should be. They are all girls so i know they will be lighter than boars.
I have 3 guniea pigs who are all over 1 year old so are fully grown, as follows:
Flash 1.378kg
Prodigy 1.323kg
Dotty 1.238kg

Then my last piggy is the one I was concerned about, she feels really ligt and skinny when you pick her up. I know she still has some growing to do as she is only 6 months old.
Daisy 708g

I might just be over worrying but I recently lost one so I am worried about them.
thanks

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
The adult weights are at the higher end and Daisy is perfectly fine for her age. She is likely not going to be a very large piggy, but as the adult ideal size is individually very different, she is on course to end up nicely right where every vet would like to see her! ;)

With my sows, I generally aim for an adult weight of between 1000-1200g, but I a have a few that are genetically larger (1300-1400g) and some that are a lot smaller (800-900g). The dominant piggies in a group are generally a bit heavier than they should be. Boars should be in a similar bracket to sows; some are much larger, though.

You can judge the individual weight/size balance best by feeling for the right "heft" around the rib cage (see the link below). Younger, still growing piggies are bonier than adults, as everything extra is invested straight into growth at first.

You may find this thread here helpful: https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...ng-ideal-weight-overweight-underweight.38805/

flintstones

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Guinea pigs come in all sizes. My pig's start from 790g - 1100grams. When weighing your guidea pig your looking for a trend. I would recommend weighing your piggies weekly this way you can spot any weightloss and pick up on illnesses early.

Lilly

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Flash, Prodigy and Dotty are all much heavier than my 3 boys! I only have one boy heftier than each of those girls.

I think Daisy is a good weight as well since she's only 6 months old.

Hank288

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I knew flash was on the heavy side but as she lives with Daisy and is dominant, she tends to steal a lot of the food and Daisy tends to love hay more than veggies! I was just worried that Daisy was too thin as she is all hair and no weight. glad she is ok. I will also now be weighing them weekly.
I did weigh them after thet had tummies full of grass after clean out day.

Freela

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
There's a pretty wide range of normal weights. Some pigs have bigger bone structures, those are likely to weigh more. Others are really petite. Those weights all seem within the normal range to me.

Out of my girls, my littlest one was Frenzy, who had a tiny little frame and never hit two pounds in weight. My biggest one was Linney. In her prime, she was almost three pounds. Once she had to be seen by a different vet at our practice and her initial reaction to seeing Linney was, "Wow- you're a BIG one!" LOL! She also had a ton of longish fur, so some of it was fluff.... but yeah, she was a big one!

Status
Not open for further replies.