• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

ill piggy :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
i have the school guinea pig over and it is living with my guinea pig (his friend died recently) they are getting along so great they actually get dissressed when one of them goes away. anyway back to the point. i looked in the cage today and there is blood in all the places they have peed. its also in the carrier case. ive checked for wounded but there are no signes. i think it might be from there pee but because they have been housesd together there is no way of telling id it is my guinea pig or schools'. we rang up a vet clinic out of hours and spoke to the vet. she says that if they seem themselves then leave them over night and go in tomorrow. she thinks it may be cystitis os a stone. ive put them on white material and they are with me now. I'm probably going to be up all night with them but I'm just wondering if there is anything else i can do. my piggies have never been this seriously ill before so I'm just a bit concerned x

flintstones

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
I would first of all identify who it is, so if you have one out on the white towel and wait for them to wee.

They will need to see the Vet first thing, if at any point they scream in pain or cannot urinate see a vet immediately as if its a stone it could have moved down there penis and block it, hunched up pig thats refusing to eat also needs a Vet immediately.

It it's a UTI normally the Antibiotic of choice is Septrin, take a urine sample of the sick pig to the vet so it can be tested for blood.

An Xray is needed to rule out stones, although sometimes the vet can feel stones though palpatation but not always.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reaction score
they both seem ok. the school piggy (buster) is the one i think with the problem because he is very malnourished. when i brought the veggies upstairs i couldnt keep him still and they are both digging in nicely. i think they are themselves apart from being tired but they normally are at this time. thanks everyone

Reaction score
they are both alot more subdeud now. buster seems to be peeing often, is this good? its quite hot so ive poured some water on their backed to cool them downed and i think they liked it. is there anything else i can do? x

Cgilchrist

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
they are both alot more subdeud now. buster seems to be peeing often, is this good? its quite hot so ive poured some water on their backed to cool them downed and i think they liked it. is there anything else i can do? x

I think you need to just keep them comfy til tomorrow but definately got to the vet as they will need antib's and pain relief. stupid question but have they had any red veggies?

Reaction score
I think you need to just keep them comfy til tomorrow but definately got to the vet as they will need antib's and pain relief. stupid question but have they had any red veggies?

no just mostly green, right now ive got them upstairs and I'm planning on having them there all night (while I'm awake) is this a bad idea and should i put them back outside?

flintstones

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
no just mostly green, right now ive got them upstairs and I'm planning on having them there all night (while I'm awake) is this a bad idea and should i put them back outside?

Keep them inside, you'll be able to keep a closer eye on them. If they are both together leave them together.

Reaction score
thanks everyone for the support. they both seemed fine last night and were eating ravishlingly! i took them to the vet and she said that my piggy was trying to show dominance to buster by restricting his water supply. this meant that buster got stressed and dehydrated which led to a bladder infection. he has been prescribed baytril, 2ml a day in te water. they both seem their normal self. thanks again for the tips x

Status
Not open for further replies.