• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

I'm a failure, and also pictures of Simon

piddlefingers

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ok guys. I screwed the pooch. Guinea Pig Boar trios are the worst. I would really emphasize as much as I can, boar pairs are the way to go, please do not ever ever ever try a boar trio. As I posted last time, we tried to get a baby to pair up with Doc and Murphy, and it went horribly. I'm only now getting Doc and Murphy to normal after having removed 10k away from them completely across the room in his own cage. In the course of the disaster, all three got their eyes poked (10k likes to dive head first into hay so his wasnt related and now he has a hanging hay feeder) and we've all been to the vet and now we get eye treatments and rinses every day. The good news, Doc and Murphy have worked out their differences, and now eat out of the same dish again (they do have 2 they just like one better than the other for some reason, I dunno, they're the same, doubt we'll ever know why, lol). It breaks my heart that I disturbed them so much. Docs interaction with me havent changed although he grinds his jaws when he let's me pet his head, but eye treatments suck. Murphy has actually gotten better with people and is constantly trying to get someone to crinkle his paper ball for him.

I knew that 10k deserved better than being alone just because of my screw up, but he's an amazing little guy (Already taking food from my hand and crawling into my palm to be picked up) and I didnt want to rehouse him. Enter Simon.

20190131_200511.jpg20190131_200720.jpg
Simon is the grey and white gentleman looking at the camera, 10k is Mr. Eyebrows. It's a match made in heaven. 10k got the obligatory mounting out of the way, Simon didn't care. They sleep in the same tunnel, they eat out of the same trough, they go everywhere together. The only issue was about 15 minutes after the initial meetup, poor Simon got glue in his fur right on the nose. I knew it was a bad idea to have them do arts and crafts...The removal process was a worry, I told Simon we could just throw some glitter on it and he could just be fabulous forever, but he just glared at me until I agreed to take the situation more serious. Alot of warm water, scrubbing, picking, saying "seriously dude?" to 10k, and many many poor little hair follicles away, he was finally g rated again.

Unfortunately Simon is very shy still so I don't know anything about him yet. I know he likes pea flakes, and that's about it. My wife says Simon is the reincarnation of her childhood rat, and she can actually coax him out of the hole by talking to him. I think hes scared of me because I've been known to put goop in the eye of his room mate, and he might still hold the glitter comment against me...

Anyways guys, I know it's long winded, and I know I've said it before, but I really screwed up. I'm so sorry that I did selective research when making my decision on getting another dude, and I honestly am petrified to make a decision about them without calling my brand new Vet. Which was such a wonderful experience and such a load off of my mind to get them seen and treated by a professional so I knew for certain what was wrong with them(I thought pink eye because it seemed to happen to them all one at a time but the ointment seems to be working).

Anyways, my dudes still seem happy, Doc and Murphy still love their new cage, 10k and Simon are coming along famously. I'm trying to teach the older pigs how to use a hammock, so if anyone has any advice about that I would appreciate it, but other than that here's another pic of the OG dudes, Murphy and Doc.

Doc wants me off his lawn, he doesn't appreciate paparazzi instead of veggies in the morning. 20190115_095557.jpg
Here's Murphy and 10k doing some dude kisses.

20190128_232819.jpg

Have a good evening all. I have to go wash 3 loads of fleece and towels.

Nice photo's of your piggy lot.
Yeah I'm afraid trio of boars just rarely work and your not the first or the last person to try it, but the good news is that you've rebonded your original boys together - so well done you!

I'm still laughing. Excellent post. I think it should be made a sticky as a warning of the potential hazards of boar trios.

Hey, look... mistakes happen. People don't realise how tough boar trios are and the dangers involved. Rarely they work - but it is not something you'd automatically think of when getting piggies.
Thing is you have two happy pairs of pigs now so all is well that ends well. Look forward to hearing and seeing more of your boys.

The only issue was about 15 minutes after the initial meetup, poor Simon got glue in his fur right on the nose. I knew it was a bad idea to have them do arts and crafts...

You have no idea how hard I laughed at this sentence.

Back