I’m allergic to guinea pigs, what the heck?

HeatherRose

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
So I went to an allergist today and they tested me for like 80 different things and guinea pigs came up positive. I have gotten a little itchy a few times if some pee soaked fur touches me when Rapunzel needs a haircut but otherwise I have no signs. I am not allergic to any of their hay so that’s good. I’m allergic to all kinds of other things and I have asthma so I’m going to start shots. Is anyone else allergic and have you tried shots? I’m just wondering if it would cure the occasional itchiness I get.

Posyrose

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I'm allergic to some pigs but not others! But not enough to limit cuddles ;)

The ones at the moment are fine, but I've had to take regular anti-histamines with some previous piggies.

I have asthma too, but that didn't get worse. I sometimes get a rash and hayfever symptoms

HeatherRose

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I must not be severely allergic to them because I really didn’t even know I was, so definitely no changes to how I do things with them. The allergist said not to handle them, have someone else clean their cage, and not to spend a lot of time in the room with them. I said “oh ok”, but in my head I was laughing like yeah right try to stop me from being with the pigs!

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m allergic to certain of my piggies (but not others) and their hay. But I just take a daily antihistamine and it mostly stays under control. For skin flares I use a topical antihistamine cream At the moment as it is hay fever season I also need a nasal spray and eye drops.

Spaghetti & Noodles

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I have an allergy to cats, but not all cats, was rather inconvenient when I worked (many years ago) for a Kennels and cattery! I also used to have my own cat who never affected me, I used to just take an antihistamine if the symptoms were bad, I have also had similar with our guinea pigs, but as long as I wash my hands soon after handling it's not too bad and I also think you build up a tolerance/get used to your own pet.

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
I am allergic to everything!
As in seriously allergic, can't leave the house some days, and I tend to have allergic reactions in some very unusual places where there really shouldn't be anything to cause them (top of a glacier, on a plane, etc).

I eventually tried the shots and my course of treatment last for 5 years becasue I had so many allergies.
It was a lot of time to invest, but I can honestly say it was TOTALLY worth it. My allergies are so much better now, and can usually be controlled with antihistamines and eye drops. It has made a huge difference to my life, and if it is presented as an option for you then I would say go for it.
When it works it is incredible.

HeatherRose

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I am allergic to everything!
As in seriously allergic, can't leave the house some days, and I tend to have allergic reactions in some very unusual places where there really shouldn't be anything to cause them (top of a glacier, on a plane, etc).

I eventually tried the shots and my course of treatment last for 5 years becasue I had so many allergies.
It was a lot of time to invest, but I can honestly say it was TOTALLY worth it. My allergies are so much better now, and can usually be controlled with antihistamines and eye drops. It has made a huge difference to my life, and if it is presented as an option for you then I would say go for it.
When it works it is incredible.
They said a 5 year course of shots for me too, I’m allergic to pretty much everything outside. I did shots when I was a teenager, back then I was allergic to cats, dogs, and grass and now I tested negative for them so I guess it works. I’m waiting to talk to the billing department on Monday to see how much it will cost.

Pigwhisperer

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm allergic to my pigs but I still cuddle and clean them. I have to be careful not to touch my eyes or they would itch like crazy and swell up, so I wash my hands a lot (but that's normal anyway?!) and usually change my top after a cuddle as they moult (shed) over everything. Any scratches from their claws will swell a bit & itch but not too bad & antihistamine cream helps.

ricear

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
United States of America (South Carolina)
I’m allergic to the hay rather than the piggies themselves. My boyfriend (the guinea pigg dad) feeds them hay and gives me my weekly allergy shot. Been on them since February or so and everything has been going smoothly, with only a few bad days. Wishing you all the best❤❤❤

Betsy

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
My friend found out that he had a peanut allergy...after eating a peanut butter sandwich every day for many years!
My son had a peanut allergy from birth but was one of the lucky few who grew out of it by the age of 18. Your friend has my sympathy! Almost everything has nut traces in and packaging isn't very helpful in the UK as to what nut it is. It just says "may contain traces of nuts" which isn't very helpful when there is only one nut to worry about. Not everyone realises that peanuts are a legume and grow on the ground in a pod (like a pea) and it isn't a tree nut like a walnut or almond.

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I’m allergic to hay and have asthma. I wear garden gloves when I have to touch hay or get the OH to move it. I had a skin problem on my hands a couple of years ago caused by hay allergy but it has now settled down and is fine

Eriathwen

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've been considering asking for the shots myself to be honest but wasnt sure how effective they are. I'm allergic to the piggies and their hay. It has slowly got better over the years but it would be nice to get rid of it, longhairs, rough/curly coats are the worst for me, I assume those coats trap the most hay dust. Well, the sneezing and breathing issues got better, the eczema it causes on my hands seems to be getting worse.

Betsy

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
It’s when you buy a pack of nuts and there’s an allergy warning on the back
“May contain nuts” !
That reminds me years ago we were on holiday and I went into a Restaurant first to speak to the Manager to check they could cope with my son's nut allergy. I asked this one particular Manager of a Pizza chain if any food in his establishment contained nuts to which he replied "The only thing that are nuts is the staff Madam, your son will be quite safe eating here."🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Betsy

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I've been considering asking for the shots myself to be honest but wasnt sure how effective they are. I'm allergic to the piggies and their hay. It has slowly got better over the years but it would be nice to get rid of it, longhairs, rough/curly coats are the worst for me, I assume those coats trap the most hay dust. Well, the sneezing and breathing issues got better, the eczema it causes on my hands seems to be getting worse.
Have you considered acupuncture for your eczema? I had a couple of very bad patches on my hand for months that just refused to go away. My acupuncturist cured it and it went away in a few days and hasn't come back that was several years ago. I now only have eczema if the skin on my hands is too dry from washing them and I forget to put on hand cream