• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

I’m at my wits end

Rivervixen

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
My boy Bruno won’t calm down. I was going to leave them in cool down for two days and I know I should have but the constant bar biting is driving me to the edge. Ozzy does it as well as Bruno and it’s like ozzy wants to go back to Bruno but then it just starts again. The constant screaming/chasing/humping and the bar biting for hours on end from both of them when I put the divider in. It’s driving me absolutely insane

Oh dear! Can't advise I'm afraid as no experience if this. Some one will be along soon. Just wanted you to know that I am thinking of you in your less than harmonious household.

Is Ozzy acting submissive when Bruno goes on his ‘rampage’, or does he look like he wants to defend himself and won’t give in? Perhaps you could cover the divider with something solid so they can’t bar bite or see each other...then try again in a day or two.

Is Ozzy acting submissive when Bruno goes on his ‘rampage’, or does he look like he wants to defend himself and won’t give in? Perhaps you could cover the divider with something solid so they can’t bar bite or see each other...then try again in a day or two.

he’s acting submissive but he’s definitely not helping himself, he rumbles then gets chased then continues to rumble while running and being chased and jumped on. His rumbles initiate at least half of the chases

Hmmm okay. The key is to let himself be chased, mounted and/or humped. Try blocking their view and give them a day or two then try again perhaps.

Hmmm okay. The key is to let himself be chased, mounted and/or humped. Try blocking their view and give them a day or two then try again perhaps.

I will do, what do you suggest using? It’s a very awkward set up because the dividers are always cable tied at an awkward angle. Their cage fits perfectly on the floor but theres no room at all for much else unless it fits the same way as the divider

Sounds like dominance behaviour to me.
Have some oven gloves on stand by and if they begin fighting biting each other. Separate them.

But I would let them get on with it. If you keep breaking it up then it will never end.

I will do, what do you suggest using? It’s a very awkward set up because the dividers are always cable tied at an awkward angle. Their cage fits perfectly on the floor but theres no room at all for much else unless it fits the same way as the divider

Can you wrap the divider with a blanket and clip it on using bulldog clips maybe?

Sounds like dominance behaviour to me.
Have some oven gloves on stand by and if they begin fighting biting each other. Separate them.

But I would let them get on with it. If you keep breaking it up then it will never end.

Yes that is true, but in this case they need a couple of days apart to calm down and wait for the hormone spike to subside

Sorry should have added, and then slowly remove it over a period of hours to see if they are calm (they obviously need to be able to see/smell each other.
Hopefully it won’t take long for the spike to subside and you can do a neutral territory reintroduction

Sorry should have added, and then slowly remove it over a period of hours to see if they are calm (they obviously need to be able to see/smell each other.
Hopefully it won’t take long for the spike to subside and you can do a neutral territory reintroduction

thank you!

Have you a stiff piece of cardboard you can put up or wood sheet? Hope it settles down soon x

I would use cardboard to cover the divider in the first instance.
It won't harm them if it gets chewed and then you can slowly cut away a piece at a time to increase the uncovered area.

We did this with Ruby when she was so cage agressive she couldn't even bear to see anotehr guinea pig in 'her' area, and she would fly at the bars shrieking and teeth chattering which would set all the other pigs (in the adjoining cage) off. The cardboard eventually did the trick, but in her case it was a very long and drawn out proocess.

I’m sure we have cardboard. Oh ruby! I might have the boy version of ruby, lol, I had cable tied the divider and Bruno was shaking it in his mouth and it sounded like someone was taking a chainsaw to the cage
Ha! I have the opposite problem - Ruby shares a divider with the sweet but clueless Harry these days. He can often be found rattling away at the divider, desperate to join Ruby.
And as he is rattling the divider she is usually screaming at him and trying to bite his face.
But sometimes she rumbles right back and shoves her ample bottom in his face - such a sweet natured little piggy :))

Ha! I have the opposite problem - Ruby shares a divider with the sweet but clueless Harry these days. He can often be found rattling away at the divider, desperate to join Ruby.
And as he is rattling the divider she is usually screaming at him and trying to bite his face.
But sometimes she rumbles right back and shoves her ample bottom in his face - such a sweet natured little piggy :))

I wish I could see this! The thought of that is so funny to me :) what a little madam!

Back