• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

I’m blaming myself for my Guinea Pigs death

chantelxx

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Yesterday morning around 5am i went to give my two male Guinea Pigs (Bear and Squirrel) some veggies. They have a whole bed room to themselves- when i opened the door, Bear had been greeting me with squeaks like usual but Squirrel was on his side, dead. Just a couple hours before my husband cleaned after them and fed them and gave them fresh water, he said Squirrel was completely normal so he must have died when we went out of the room and getting ready for bed. They would squeak on and off if they heard us (nothing unusual) so we didn’t think anything of it. Then when i couldn’t sleep I just started my morning and went to give them veggies that’s when I saw squirrel lifeless. I’ve been in and out of the hospital because I’ve been really sick and batteling health issues, my allergies get so bad when I’m near them because of my health so my husband has been playing with them and giving them attention. They’re both young. We’ve had them since last August, they’re a little over a year old. We ran out of hay for them, for a couple weeks because money was so tight, we had an eviction notice to leave because I was in the hospital- so we just fed them what we could work with- veggies, pellets and fresh water. I’ve been crying all day since yesterday, we held squirrel for hours just sobbing. I haven’t even ate in a day because I’m so sick to my stomach, I keep asking was it my fault? I don’t even care that I haven’t ate- I’m just more worried why our baby boy squirrel passed so suddenly when they both seem very healthy. I’m mad at myself that we’re struggling financially because of my liver and kidney disease, I’m mad that I’ve been sick and haven’t been able to play with them. I’m mad I couldn’t hold squirrel in my arms when he was dying, I’m mad that I don’t even know why he died. I’m coming here for comfort and peace of mind because i feel extremely depressed and wondering if i could have prevented this. Bear is fine, he’s eating normally and drinking water- he’s a little different, wondering where his brother is :(

Please bare with me and i ask for nothing but love and prayers.

xxFC04EAD6-EA7F-483E-A043-E64DE257506D.jpeg

I even tried reviving him (when he was in fact dead) for 5 hours, and even after that I tried some more. I felt like I was in denial. I’m a mess. My husband is comforting and helping me but we’re both just so sad.

I'm sorry for your loss of your little Squirrel.
Being sudden and unexpected makes it feel worse for you, but I think it is unlikely to be due to anything that you did or didn't do. Piggies hide illnesses so well, and some become fatal very quickly. Or he could have been born with something that shortened his lifespan, it does happen due to poor breeding practices.
Try not to blame yourself, and just remember the good things about him and the times you enjoyed with him and his friend.
I hope Bear is doing okay.
:hug:

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your beautiful boy Squirrel.
Please be kind to yourself.
It sounds like you could not have done more to make sure your boys have a wonderful home with you.
Sadly guinea pigs are sometimes more fragile than they seem, and can hide illness very well, so even the most experienced owners can loose a pig suddenly and unexpectedly.
It is also possible that Squirrel had a sudden heart attack, and if this is the case there is simply nothing you could have done for him.

Take time to grieve and it is ok to allow yourself to be sad.
There is a good guide for helping grieving guinea pigs and their owners here:
Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig

I’m so sorry you have lost Squirrel x Please don’t blame yourself, squirrel died very suddenly, you could not have known what was going to happen. Be kind to yourself and remember all the lovely times you had together.
Sleep tight little man x

I'm so sorry for your loss. I still blame myself for the loss of my Bramble..it's a very normal thing, and when I found my Cinnamon had passed away last week I was in so much shock and denial that I tried to revive her, unfortunately they will hide illness very well, being prey animals, it's just in their nature.
It is entirely possible for youngsters to pass away having given absolutely no sign of anything wrong, sudden death is something that can happen. Some are just born with a genetic ticking time bomb that we can't see, but you sound like an extremely caring piggy owner and we can all only do the best we can at the time, which is what you have done. You didn't ask to be ill!

Again I'm sorry for your loss, he was a lovely looking little man. I hope in time you can overcome the feelings of guilt and just enjoy the happy memories you have of him.

Yesterday morning around 5am i went to give my two male Guinea Pigs (Bear and Squirrel) some veggies. They have a whole bed room to themselves- when i opened the door, Bear had been greeting me with squeaks like usual but Squirrel was on his side, dead. Just a couple hours before my husband cleaned after them and fed them and gave them fresh water, he said Squirrel was completely normal so he must have died when we went out of the room and getting ready for bed. They would squeak on and off if they heard us (nothing unusual) so we didn’t think anything of it. Then when i couldn’t sleep I just started my morning and went to give them veggies that’s when I saw squirrel lifeless. I’ve been in and out of the hospital because I’ve been really sick and batteling health issues, my allergies get so bad when I’m near them because of my health so my husband has been playing with them and giving them attention. They’re both young. We’ve had them since last August, they’re a little over a year old. We ran out of hay for them, for a couple weeks because money was so tight, we had an eviction notice to leave because I was in the hospital- so we just fed them what we could work with- veggies, pellets and fresh water. I’ve been crying all day since yesterday, we held squirrel for hours just sobbing. I haven’t even ate in a day because I’m so sick to my stomach, I keep asking was it my fault? I don’t even care that I haven’t ate- I’m just more worried why our baby boy squirrel passed so suddenly when they both seem very healthy. I’m mad at myself that we’re struggling financially because of my liver and kidney disease, I’m mad that I’ve been sick and haven’t been able to play with them. I’m mad I couldn’t hold squirrel in my arms when he was dying, I’m mad that I don’t even know why he died. I’m coming here for comfort and peace of mind because i feel extremely depressed and wondering if i could have prevented this. Bear is fine, he’s eating normally and drinking water- he’s a little different, wondering where his brother is :(

Please bare with me and i ask for nothing but love and prayers.

xxView attachment 108601

HUGS!

I am so sorry; a fatal heart attack or a stroke can happen at any age and at any time right out of the blue. It is a devastating experience. There is nothing you have missed, done wrong or could have prevented! It is literally a matter of seconds or a couple of minutes that happen without any warning; even had you been there, you would not have been able to save squirrel or get him to the vets in time. :(

Please try to take consolation that while the death is most upsetting for you and his companion, it is one of the kindest way a guinea pig can die. Squirrel has not suffered; he would have just passed out very quickly.

You may find these links here helpful in order to learn what you can do for Bear now and in the coming days and how you can cope with your own grieving:
Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig
Here is our new human bereavement support guide: Human Bereavement - Grieving, coping tips and support links for guinea pig owners and their children

Last edited:
I am so sorry for your loss. Squirels' death was not your fault please don't blame yourself.

I echo the sentiments of everyone else who has replied to your post. It’s not your fault. It is natural to feel bad, but you must look after yourself.

So sorry for your loss.
Please don't feel bad, these things sometimes just happen.
Sleep tight little Squirrel.xx

I'm so sorry for your loss. Please don't blame yourself xx

Hello, and welcome to our forum.
I am sorry for your loss. I am sure you gave him a long, and wonderful life. He looks very happy in that photo.
Please do not blame yourself! Unexpected pet deaths can be the hardest. I have been through them many times with dogs and also struggle with blaming myself.
I also agree with @Swissgreys. If he had a heart attack or even stroke, which sounds like could have been if your husband says he looked fine, then that is something that is common and simply unpreventable!

Welcome to the forum
I am so sorry for your sudden loss but as others have said - guinea pigs hide illness so well and sadly strokes or heart attacks come out of the blue.
The way you are feeling is a perfectly normal reaction to loss.
Grieving is really tough but with time you will work through it.
Your own illness doesn’t help so be gentle with yourself and allow yourself time to look after yourself and to grieve.

Very sorry for your loss, please dont blame yourself, he knows you loved him alot. Sometimes guinea pigs have heart issue and die suddenly, this happened to my sister in laws cat that was still young, she was in bits for weeks. Itl get easier as time goes on,

I have also lost a male guinea pig a few years ago, i found him dead when i got home from work, i knew it was coming, i was planning to have him put to sleep that evening. I felt so guilty not being there, but the years i did have him, he knew he was my main priority in my life, and i loved him to the max. Its just there are things in our life we have to do to be able to look after our pigs.

My thoughts are with you, take care of yourself and i hope you are ok soon.

Please stay on the forum, your are very welcome, and we will all be here to help whenever you feel you need it x

So sorry to hear this. Please don't blame yourself. Sometimes our furry friends pass away without warning. It sounds like you gave the piggy a wonderful loving home, just try and remember the happy times you both shared.

When you are ready please get the remaining piggy a new baby pig for a companion or it may die of a brokeb heart. Piggies are social animals and need to live with another one. I know it will hurt and feel like you are replacing your loved one but you are not, you are being selfless and looking out for the best interest of your grieving piggy. X

I've been thinking about the best way to say this, because I don't want to make anyone feel worse but I have to ask... would not having hay for 2 weeks possibly be a factor?

Hello.
Massive hugs to you and I'm really sorry about your piggie.
We never know what happened hay or not course hay is their main food.
I'm hopeing you guys still on forum. ?

Back