• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

I’m considering switching to hemp.

lilpigpiglets

Junior Guinea Pig
Hi! So I’ve always bedded my girls on wood shavings from pet stores, however I want to switch to hemp. I want to do this because I was enlightened on the possible health risks of shavings. However I wanted to ask if hemp had possible risks as one of my girls is elderly and I wouldn’t want to upset her/make her ill. I also want to ask where I can get hemp cheap and safely online or wether the horse suppliers hemp is safe for piggies.

Lady Kelly

Staff member
I use aubiose which is a hemp based horse bedding and I love it. It works so well for the piggies and I've never had it cause them any problems

flowerfairy

Forum Donator 2017/18
I dont drive so I cant get to a horse bedding supplier. I use hemparade, a hemp bedding from zooplus and buy a few hamster acessories whilst I am at it to make postage worth while!

Swissgreys

Forum Buddy
I used Aubiose before switching to fleece and I loved it.
For us it didn't work once we decided to keep the piggies indoors, but I still use it with my hamster and t is a great bedding choice.
Just watch ut for dust - I find some bales are dustier than others, but I always unwrap and fluff it outside before bringing it in in a large bucket.

alpacasqueak

Junior Guinea Pig
Does anyone else use Finacard? Or other similar cardboard etc. I've found it quite good as my sow Jessie is a bit sensitive to certain things and gets the sneezes.
Make sure I put some fleece down for sleep areas and change daily. Can get a bale that lasts a while. I've found it pretty good.