• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

I'm finally adopting some piggies!

Saiyanguineapig

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello again,

Some of you may have seen my post in February where I was struggling with my no-pig life after loosing my Alfie just before Xmas.
So it turned out I wasn't totally over my grief and needed more time to come to terms. With previous pigs there would always be another bereaved one that I had to focus on in the moment and that kinda pushed the grief away. So this time it was like ten years worth at once.
Once iv got a bit of spare time I'll compile a memorial post for Alfie, he was a very special and unusual boy.

And now finally after 7 months I'm back on the pig train and will be adopting 2 boars from the East Anglian Guinea Pig rescue! It now feels right to move on and give some more piggies the home they deserve.
It will be nice to have a pair again, and to not have a pig with aggression issues out the wazoo.

I look forward to sharing my new boys with you very soon!
<3

That’s so nice! I’m happy for you! Guinea pigs are such a joy.

(do you think that the guinea pig in the photo, Aegir, looks like he is talking?)

Congratulations. How exciting. Can’t wait to see photos once they are settled.

Fantastic, I was also in a similar place to you. Except I hadn't realized that I'd repressed my grief so when I thought about adopting, it all came back again and overwhelmed me. In a little over a week now though I too should be bringing a pair of boys home too! So happy for you and can't wait to meet your boys!

Fantastic, I was also in a similar place to you. Except I hadn't realized that I'd repressed my grief so when I thought about adopting, it all came back again and overwhelmed me. In a little over a week now though I too should be bringing a pair of boys home too! So happy for you and can't wait to meet your boys!

I am very sorry; it can hit you hard. You may find our grieving guide (including a list of resources) helpful; you may want to bookmark it: Human Bereavement: Grieving, Coping and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children

All the best with your new boys! Enjoy them!

Guinea pigs have to re-establish their hierarchy in any new territory. You can find some tips for easing that process in the boar guide, chapter 3; it can trip up adult boars if there are already existing underlying rifts. Lots of interactive behaviours in the behaviour and bonding guide - you might enjoy looking out for them a bit more.
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

I am very sorry; it can hit you hard. You may find our grieving guide (including a list of resources) helpful; you may want to bookmark it: Human Bereavement: Grieving, Coping and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children

Guinea pigs have to re-establish their hierarchy in any new territory. You can find some tips for easing that process in the boar guide, chapter 3; it can trip up adult boars if there are already existing underlying rifts. Lots of interactive behaviours in the behaviour and bonding guide - you might enjoy looking out for them a bit more.
Already read through all the guides yesterday as I was so excited! A lot more seems to be known then when I last was in loop years ago it's great to see

Bloody hard isn't it? If I hadn't had experience with therapy and CBT in the past I'm pretty sure I'd still be repressing/avoiding.
I'm glad you've worked through it and now offering a home to some pigs who need it! Look forward to seeing them.

Already read through all the guides yesterday as I was so excited! A lot more seems to be known then when I last was in loop years ago it's great to see

Things have changed and moved on a lot over the last decade. We understand a lot more about guinea pig behaviour and have extended our medical knowledge quite a lot more.

Our Guide collection (best accessed via the top bar) is one of the most extensive information collections around; in nearly 15 years of existence as one of the oldest still running forums we have been able to build up a good foundation of practical experience and knowledge.

If you are interested in all things guinea pig, then I would recommend that you put a subscription for Guinea Pig Magazine on your Christmas wish list! Lots of great information in there with always a medical/welfare article, Q&A section, a rescue story and rescue adverts, me writing an article about social aspects in the interaction (both between piggies and with humans); we have a funny column from Elf, a stand up comedienne with guinea pigs, social media news and top posters, reader letters, stories and reader picture gallery and a great guinea pig comic strip from a lady in Poland etc.
This year, I have been writing an article series about Guinea Pig Ages from the first hours after birth through the different stages of life and what happens during them. You may find that rather fascinating. I'm currently working on the one about Old Age for the November/Christmas issue; the issue with the article about the Adult Years is has just come out earlier this month. For the next year I am planning to have a look at the reasons why guinea pig behaviour can be rather confusing and sometimes downright contradictory and what underpins and drives their social interaction. It is actually quite a bit more complex than most owners would expect!
The magazine is available in print and as a download.
Guinea Pig Magazine

Thank you Wiebke, I had read through the bereavement pages here, I do believe they've helped somewhat it's all a process and a journey that takes time but I do believe with tips from here and others have helped alot.
I do already know this, but I've never had two boars so I am certainly reading up on their behaviours. I've only had a single boar and several sows. Thank you for the links.

Bloody hard isn't it? If I hadn't had experience with therapy and CBT in the past I'm pretty sure I'd still be repressing/avoiding.
I'm glad you've worked through it and now offering a home to some pigs who need it! Look forward to seeing them.

So difficult, especially when you're doing it alone. People around me just didn't understand the bond, or even emotions being among like-minded others has helped alot. I'm so pleased to hear you were able to healthily process your grief. It's been something I've wanted to do for some years now but it never felt right or I couldn't bring myself to do it. Now I'm excited & excited for you too!

Things have changed and moved on a lot over the last decade. We understand a lot more about guinea pig behaviour and have extended our medical knowledge quite a lot more.

Our Guide collection (best accessed via the top bar) is one of the most extensive information collections around; in nearly 15 years of existence as one of the oldest still running forums we have been able to build up a good foundation of practical experience and knowledge.

If you are interested in all things guinea pig, then I would recommend that you put a subscription for Guinea Pig Magazine on your Christmas wish list! Lots of great information in there with always a medical/welfare article, Q&A section, a rescue story and rescue adverts, me writing an article about social aspects in the interaction (both between piggies and with humans); we have a funny column from Elf, a stand up comedienne with guinea pigs, social media news and top posters, reader letters, stories and reader picture gallery and a great guinea pig comic strip from a lady in Poland etc.
This year, I have been writing an article series about Guinea Pig Ages from the first hours after birth through the different stages of life and what happens during them. You may find that rather fascinating. I'm currently working on the one about Old Age for the November/Christmas issue; the issue with the article about the Adult Years is has just come out earlier this month. For the next year I am planning to have a look at the reasons why guinea pig behaviour can be rather confusing and sometimes downright contradictory and what underpins and drives their social interaction. It is actually quite a bit more complex than most owners would expect!
The magazine is available in print and as a download.
Guinea Pig Magazine
I studied Zoology at University so this sounds right up my alley. My favourite was always Evolutionary biology and Behaviour and Cognition. When I first got guinea pigs this 'research' even at a colloquial level didn't exist, it's very exciting to see information become more available. I look forward with great interest for your further work!

Back