• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

I'm kind of worried...

TrixieAndSnowball

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So, before my mom left for her mini vacation, she said ''I'm sure they will give their leftover hay and food.''; she was completely wrong. I tried to ask the sceneario if they didn't but she and her instincts told me off and said they would. Anyways, I'm a day into their care and she didn't let us go shopping before the piggies came. They are almost out of hay and I'm saving the rest of their pellets for transitioning. I've been trying new vegetables with them, so far carrot and bell pepper. In the meantime, what could I do? Should I give some more veggies or will that mess up their system (as I'm just starting them on them).

They need hay, and lots of it. It’s the main proportion of their diet and needs to always be available. You will need to buy more hay. Don’t give extra veg, if their tummies aren’t used to it, then they need to be fed only small amounts at first. They should only have around 50g of veg per day (once they are used to having veg) . If you overfeed veg you run the risk of causing a gut imbalance and upset tummy.

Or order some next day delivery from Amazon, if you cant go out or the shops are closed for the bank holiday... Amazon sell many quite good hay brands and dont bother about bank holiday deliveries at all!

Pets at Home will be open, B&M, The Range.. they all sell hay.. why cant you pop out and get some? X

do you live in the uk,just you use the word mom,which tends to be used in USA ! I agree with previous posters you will need to get some hay.

Hi OP, you’re obviously younger than some of us oldies on here, so I understand why it might be difficult for you to always get the things you need from parents who maybe aren’t into piggies as much as we are. Your guinea pigs will be fine without hay for one night, but going forward, good quality hay should be the main part of their diet, as it does so many things to keep piggies healthy, including helping to look after their teeth and tummies.

As another poster has mentioned, Amazon do deliveries over night and also give you the option to set up regular deliveries, so that maybe something for the future that would make sure you don’t run out again. In the meantime, when your mom returns from her mini break (I hope she’s having a nice time btw 🙂) you can always ask her to pop on here, or ask me to DM you and I can help to explain to her why hay is a must for pigs. Also, it’s much better to buy too much hay than have to pay out vet prices for teeth or digestive troubles later on.

Just let me know if I can help in anyway.

Back