• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

I’m Loosing Sleep

NoodlesRosemary

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Recently my piggy has been waking me up at 5:30 in the morning. I get up at 6:30 so this is a big problem. She chews on her cage bars telling me that she wants her breakfast. She is persistent and I don’t know what to do. When she chews on her cage bars I move her cage onto the floor to show her that it is not time to eat yet (her cage sits on a bin otherwise). This morning I banished her to the bathroom so that she would leave me to get my sleep in peace in quiet. Of course I was so worried about her in the bathroom that I couldn’t sleep anyways. My bedroom is dark so this problem doesn’t have anything to do with the lighting. I think she hears my parents and my dog getting up in the morning and my dog’s collar jingles. What do you suggest I do about this. She has a consistently breakfast schedule of getting feed at 6:40 Monday through Friday. Her dinner time fluctuates a little bit, but I feed her right before I go to bed so that she is preoccupied. This has beeen happening for a few mornings now and is really bothering me. Please help me.

Is she alone? Boredom can be a huge factor in bar chewing. Of course it’s not exclusively down to only boredom and some pigs are just bar chewers by character.

How large is her cage? What is in her cage to keep her occupied? She would benefit the most from a friend of her own kind but I am curious if there are other aspects of your setup that may be triggering the change.

Hi! Is your piggy a single? Then it can be attention seeking behaviour - anything to fill her constant need for round the clock company that a group animal like guinea pigs so badly depend on.

The only way to stop this particular trick is bite the bullet, go to bed earlier and ignore any bar chewing at an inappropriate hour until she stops because she doesn't get any reaction.

Of course, if she is single, the best thing you can do for her, and you for the long term is a same sex companion. Guinea pigs are not stupid. What doesn't work gets dropped.

Companionship
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips

Alongside the other advice, some foam earplugs might help you cope with the early morning bar chewing. I have some to stop my OH's snoring waking me up. They don't completely remove the sound but mute it alot ; )

Yes. My piggy is single. In my current situation there is not room for a mate. Would playing with her before bed help?

I have the same problem. I have VERY bad insomnia. On a good night, I'll go to bed at 9:45 and fall asleep at 12 or 1. All three of my boys chew on the cage even when they have food, hay, and veg. On top of that, my rabbit is constantly making noise. It's a big problem because I wake up at 6:00 to exercise in the morning, so I need all the sleep I can get. Usually, I'll just put the pig that starts it all in a little dog crate tent thing (I don't really know how to explain it.) at night. Make sure to get your little girl a companion and GOOD LUCK!:nod:

Yes. My piggy is single. In my current situation there is not room for a mate. Would playing with her before bed help?
If your cage is large enough for 1 pig then it’s usually big enough for 2. If it’s not then I am afraid it’s probably below the minimum recommendations for size.

Here are some sizing guides below to help you work out if perhaps her bar chewing is increased by the lack of space to run around.
BBA5DC57-5512-45C7-8CFF-4E1656671202.png
5DCFE32B-51A5-4939-BB64-58A101028F67.jpeg

Back