• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

I'm sure my guinea pigs have bumblefoot

Guineapiggles2021

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I'm certain my guinea pigs have bumblefoot but my mum won't take me to the vets. The back of both my male guinea pigs feet are not bleeding or swollen. They are just a red a bit. Should I change sawdust, or should I change to fleece liners?

We can't really go by description so please post a photo. But bear in mind we aren't vets. Have they been red before, and you're sure it's not their colour? What are they currently bedded on and how often do you change out the wet areas?

Please also add your location to your profile - county/state or country are enough.

Sometimes piggies feet can be redder than other times, if they’ve hot or irritated. Bumblefoot is open sores. However, it is never a good idea to leave something unchecked as bumblefoot can be a very serious issue.
Your mum has a responsibility to ensure your pets receive vet care when needed.
If you think the wood shavings are causing irritation (it’s possible is they are damp) then changing bedding would be a good idea, but having a vet check is important

I'm certain my guinea pigs have bumblefoot but my mum won't take me to the vets. The back of both my male guinea pigs feet are not bleeding or swollen. They are just a red a bit. Should I change sawdust, or should I change to fleece liners?

Hi!

Guinea pig feet are red when the piggies are feeling hot as blood vessel on the surface expand in order to shed excess heat. You will find that the ears are also very red.
Bumblefoot is a small distinct red area on one foot, which can then turn into large open sore and swelling.

Can you please post a picture?

Back