• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

I'm too scared to cut their nails

Skullblits

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm going to admit. I'm terrible at handling are piggies I have zero confidence in doing it and it doesn't help they go a bit nuts when trying to hold them. We can manage eye drops. But this is alot more difficult work.

I dunno what to do :(

Do you have someone else who can hold the piggies while you cut or vice versa? Have you tried holding them in a towel?
Don’t aim to do all nails in one go, just do one or a couple if that is all that the piggies will tolerate

I don't find it easy and have to have help holding them and keeping them still. I did for years take mine to the nurse at the vets who would cut them for a small charge.

We took ares to the vets they make it look soo easy. My gf isn't good at holding them either.
Tried a couple of times but they just seem to get super stressed about it.

I'm sure our pigs behave differently at the vets to show us up! Mine will snuggle and give piggy kisses for no treat at the vets. I get wriggling, bites, poop and wee 😂

LOL yep.
One of my girls saw the clippers in my hand and started wheeking at me and ran off.

She basically said. Human I'm not in the mood for this today..

It took me five years to pluck up the courage to do it. When I adopted my four boys last year I was determined to conquer my fears. I think finding the right implement is key. Previously I bought gullotine cutters which I hated because I couldn’t see where I was cutting. Since ive used thinner nail clippers it’s so much easier. I do a little bit at a time on a regular basis. It’s difficult but try exude confidence as your piggies may sense if your stressed. Take a deep breathe and persevere. It’ll be very rewarding and save having to pay the vets. Maybe book a one off appt and get the vet/nurse to show you how to do it. Ideally cut some of the nails under supervision. I wish you the very best of luck.

Yes slowly does it to build confidence! Big pig Clover used to really hate nail trims, shrieking and squealing and fighting to get away, so we started very slowly without even cutting anything, just with my husband holding her while I practiced firmly taking hold of a paw, then she got ear kisses and treats. We played the "give a paw, get praise and treats" game twice a week for a month before I did any cutting at all! Then it was one paw at a time. Some days now I can do all toes on all paws of all piggies, other days... it just isnt a good day for it, so I just give up and still give treats and write down how far I got, then try again at the next cage clean!

I only started cutting the piggies nails by myself when we adopted Vegas last November. Usually hubby cuts it while I hold them. I just wanted to try and see if I can finally do it. And I did! Now, if I can't wait for hubby, I do it myself.

You can do it! Practice makes perfect! 😂

It’s never easy and sometimes the piggles just don’t want it done
Saskia from the LA guinea pig rescue has some great demos and advice on YouTube

For years I hated it and hubby had to help. I used to break out in a sweat and get the shakes...omg so pathetic! then one day I thought, I have got to get over this.
As others have said, I got the right tools which I was happy with and made sure I borrowed my husbands glasses so that I could see VERY clearly ! The key was to breath and relax. What I had found was that with my anxiety I was not only scaring them but gripping their paws tight which made them wriggle even more.

Now I actually enjoy doing them and one of them simply holds his paw out and lets me get on with it..although this one also likes baths, he likes being clipped and he lays down to have his hair blow dried...he's slightly special lol! But I dont get the screaming tantrums I used to so it can be overcome!

My daughter and I managed to cut the nails of one of them over two sessions a week apart, but during the second the little piggy shrieked as though I had cut her entire toe off. It turned out I hadn't even nipped her -- but you can imagine how I felt until I could see there was not even a pinprick of blood. I was in such a state of stress afterwards that I couldn't face doing the one with little black claws. We did have to go to the vet earlier this week and so she did the other's for me (without me even asking). I would prefer just to go to the vets every time, particularly after that experience (although no harm was done), as at least they get a once-over when they are there. That's probably not very encouraging for you, but I don't think it's chickening out if you don't want to do it...

My daughter and I managed to cut the nails of one of them over two sessions a week apart, but during the second the little piggy shrieked as though I had cut her entire toe off. It turned out I hadn't even nipped her -- but you can imagine how I felt until I could see there was not even a pinprick of blood. I was in such a state of stress afterwards that I couldn't face doing the one with little black claws. We did have to go to the vet earlier this week and so she did the other's for me (without me even asking). I would prefer just to go to the vets every time, particularly after that experience (although no harm was done), as at least they get a once-over when they are there. That's probably not very encouraging for you, but I don't think it's chickening out if you don't want to do it...
Piggies can be very dramatic at times. 😂😂

I had one who used to scream the place down as soon as she saw the nail clippers, I hadnt even started by that point! they can be such drama queens. I did use pepper with her to keep her quiet...funny how suddenly it wasnt so scary after that :yikes:

It can be daunting. In the early days I cut the quick a couple of times and was always almost in tears! (Who’s the drama llama now!) I’d say try and cut the nails on just one foot. A little bit. And then maybe a week later try and do another. You can do it to coincide with their weekly weigh and health check. Weigh, cut nails and give a little treat/snack.

You’re in the same boat as a lot of other people so don’t stress too much.

When I cut my guinea pig’s nails, I put her on my lap and hold her a bit tigput, then I start cutting her nails, and when she moves and tries to get away, I stop cutting her nails and wait until she stops moving around because I’m afraid ght cut her paw if she moves and I continue cutting her nails.

We always have varying degrees of success with our pigs, it depends what mood they're in! Yesterday my daughter continually fed a stash of the longest grass I could find to keep them occupied while I clipped. We managed 11 out of 28 nails :xd: We'll try again in a couple of days

Back