• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

I'm worried about Crackers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonBon2010

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've noticed this week he's dropped a bit of weight.. being on his last weigh in, he weighed the same as my sow Treacle.. he's 3 and a half, and a Peruvian.. and I'm worried that as a pure bred, I've heard from a few people that they tend to be shorter lived:(?
He's eating fine, and still very playful with biscuit his younger pal.. could he have wasting disease, or is it just age? I'd take him to my vet, but after the last visit where they had to look up a problem in Humbug which made me feel they didn't deal with guinea pigs very often, has left me thinking, do I have to travel further a field to find a Savvy vet?
On a down side, I lost one a couple of years ago to wasting disease.. Patch.. She was lovely.. even though she died pretty sudden, she had all the classic signs, a great appetite, but just 'disappeared' in front of me:(
I really hop this isn't what's happening to Crackers8...

Abi_nurse

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I dont know exactly what to suggest, has he lost a lot of weight?

If your worried then i would recommend finding a good piggie vet yeah. Not all vets will understand you going to have a consult just because a bit of weight loss. It might put your mind at ease seeing a savvy vet.

x.

BonBon2010

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I think he has.. he used to have a portly belly, and now he's a bit too streamline.. I feed him P@H nuggets.. would I be better putting him on a more fattening diet? He loves his timothy hay and veg, he play mounts his pal (well, they do that too each other)..
I perhaps don't handle them as much as the females, which is why I haven't really noticed it:red I've already decided that when these two go, I won't be getting any more males, it'll be an end of an era, as I've had some lovely males in the past, but I find sows easier to manage..
In the past I've found that after 3, many of my piggies would loose a bit of the portly belly, but otherwise be fine and not loose any more - this seems to be more than that..

Abi_nurse

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
There isnt much more of a fattening diet, pellets tend to be the fattening part of the diet. Do you weigh your piggies regarly? It might be worth doing, so if he continues to loose weight you can see a vet?

x.

BonBon2010

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I think that's what I'll do.. just got to find that Savvy vet now:)..
I want to take all of them for a full mot, piece of mind so to speak, the others are doing great, but I know as much that they can mask problems so well, that it can be too late to save them by the time they show symptoms :(

Abi_nurse

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I want to take all of them for a full mot, piece of mind so to speak, the others are doing great, but I know as much that they can mask problems so well, that it can be too late to save them by the time they show symptoms :(

I know, Damn those piggies, there so good at it, makes it hard to see symptoms before they get really sick. Good luck. I'm sure they'll be fine.

xx.

Status
Not open for further replies.