• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

I'm worried Jake is bloated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanwombat

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Earlier I got a massive poo plug out of him and how I'm worried hes bloated. Hes feeling quite round and not being as active as the other two. Hes just eating a little and ive got him out and I'm rubbing his tummy generally and he bit me which he never does.

The vets are closed and nobody is at home :( what can i give him?

hes just eaten some hay off my lap I'm going to keep him on and see whether he does a poo soon. I'm hoping its just from the impaction

Ive put him on the floor and hes wondering around and i put some more hay done and hes munching on it .. want to see if he does a poo

Can you get some baby gripe water and give this to your piggie. Also, try to keep the piggie moving as much as possible. This may help to disperse the gas. Have a look at the Peter Gurney website. This contains excellent advice for bloat. Keep a close eye on the piggie as bloat can be serious. Best of luck and keep us updated..

I was told baby's gripe water is meant to be good to help bloatedness.
I hope he is okay soon.
Make sure he is moving around and still pooing as normal.
have you fed him anything different to usual to possibly make him this way? x

Buscopan tablets from the pharmacy have been recommended. You may need to do a search for buscopan on the top bar for the right dosis. Gently massage his belly.

Please have a feel for his belly - is it painfully tight and gives a hollow sound when you tap on it? True bloat comes on pretty quickly, is very painful, and needs to be seen by an out of hours vet asap. I can be fatal.

Here is more info on bloat:
http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/bloat.htm

Well hes done about 7 droppings atm, hes having a good old run around my room and is wanting to get back in with the other two. Hes been eating some hay. No its not tight

hes just eaten some hay off my lap I'm going to keep him on and see whether he does a poo soon. I'm hoping its just from the impaction

I was told baby's gripe water is meant to be good to help bloatedness.
I hope he is okay soon.
Make sure he is moving around and still pooing as normal.
have you fed him anything different to usual to possibly make him this way? x

I reckon its the impaction he had, he had a very large poo plug and he wouldnt of been able to release any gases

Buscopan tablets from the pharmacy have been recommended. You may need to do a search for buscopan on the top bar for the right dosis. Gently massage his belly.

Please have a feel for his belly - is it painfully tight and gives a hollow sound when you tap on it? True bloat comes on pretty quickly, is very painful, and needs to be seen by an out of hours vet asap. I can be fatal.

Here is more info on bloat:
http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/bloat.htm

I forgot about the buscopan. I always have this in my piggies medicine cabinet along with gripe water and calpol! I'm sure bloat is what I lost my beloved Farquhar to. I didnt know as much then as I know now and its great to pick up tip and hints, however a vets advice should always be sought if worried....

I hope Jack is OK.
My Ginger's got bloat and I have had to leave her at the vets. I can't believ how quicly it's cme on.

x

Thanks

I've put him back with my other two as he was starting to act like his oldself. Hes had some pellets to eat as well as some hay and now he is snuggled with his brother but I'll still be keeping a close eye

I hope your pig Ginger is best soon x

I got another small impaction out of him earlier and then he was straight away eating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back