• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

I'm Worried, What Has Happend To His Eyes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gakarium

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello Guinea pig community!
I'm worried about my guinea pig, that's about 4 years old.
i did not have him from start, but i recently took him over from a previous owner.
Shortly after, i noticed there is something wrong with his eyes! What can this problem be?
i'm really scared and i hope he doesnt have any pain from it :(

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome!

It is great that you have given this no longer young boy (what is his name?) a loving new home!

It looks like a grow of the conjunctiva, which can happen . Please have it checked by a vet in case he needs small corrective surgery or eye drops. It is not something life threatening, so I wouldn't worry myself sick, but it is a bit uncomfy and limits the sight, so it would be good if you could have it treated. ;)

With members from all over the world, we find it very helpful if you could please add your country, state or (for the UK) your county/city to your details, so we can always adapt any advice and recommendations to your location straight away. Click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. In the same section you can also upload your avatar; that is the picture that comes with every post you make and set up how you or whether you would like to get any notifications on threads or sections you are interested in.

Galaxy&nibbles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Is it maybe a fatty bit? I've read sometimes piggies can get fat around the eye. I'll have a look in a moment in my book and show a picture

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Is it maybe a fatty bit? I've read sometimes piggies can get fat around the eye. I'll have a look in a moment in my book and show a picture
Fatty or pea eye is when the conjunctiva is exposed, but not if it is sticking out into the eye. ;)

Gakarium

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi and welcome!

It is great that you have given this no longer young boy (what is his name?) a loving new home!

It looks like a grow of the conjunctiva, which can happen . Please have it checked by a vet in case he needs small corrective surgery or eye drops. It is not something life threatening, so I wouldn't worry myself sick, but it is a bit uncomfy and limits the sight, so it would be good if you could have it treated. ;)

With members from all over the world, we find it very helpful if you could please add your country, state or (for the UK) your county/city to your details, so we can always adapt any advice and recommendations to your location straight away. Click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. In the same section you can also upload your avatar; that is the picture that comes with every post you make and set up how you or whether you would like to get any notifications on threads or sections you are interested in.
Thank you for the info! Yeah, it is a bit worrying since i havent really seen this problem before, but now i feel alot calmer :)
His name is Nusk, and he is making only good noices so far so i guess he feels really statisfied here haha :D
He does have two other friends aswell which is just a year, so i gotta look out for this on them too! Luckily not happend yet.
Okay, i will check into the settings and fix it up shortly :)

Teddybear22

Rescue Buddy
Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
That's definitely the best solution. Wiebke is right, it looks like too much "thing" on the eye to be a pea eye.
Please, keep us updated!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Pea or fatty eye is not uncommon in older piggies; I have currently two piggies with this condition, but any grows you need to check for inflammation (conjunctivitis) or if they have grown over an irritation on the eye surface.

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, let us know how he gets on at the vets, always worth getting these things checked out.

Flutterby

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Definitely keep us updated on this gorgeous lad!

Status
Not open for further replies.