• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Impaction Caused By Stress?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mypinkballoon

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have an approximately 2 and a half year old guinea pig named Charlie. He has never had any abnormal health ailments thus far...knock on wood. Last Thursday morning I was spot cleaning his cage and noticed he may be impacted. Now up until that point he has passed those larger ball looking poops on his own. He would pass one a month maybe. So at the time I thought nothing of it. I went off to work and about 9 hours later I arrived home & went to spot clean his cage a second time and notice he was still impacted. Thinking 9 hours was way to long for him to not pass it; I panicked, called the vet, and made an emergency appointment.

The vet showed me how to ease it out and told me impaction is common among older male guinea pigs. Since Thursday I have had to help relieve Charlie every morning and night. He is still eating, but not as much as he normally does. He is also not as active as he use to be.

To note - in the past month I have moved and Charlie is still getting accustomed to his new surroundings. I know these little guys stress easily. I know impaction is caused by muscle loss, but could this just be an upset stomach due to stress? I have no problem helping to relieve Charlie, but with my work hours picking up I am a little worried about him. I don't want him to be in discomfort/pain or have a lower quality of life due to this ailment. If this is impaction, is this a sign of direr things to come? Is it possible for him to live a comfortable and happy few more years with impaction happening at least twice a day? I am thinking of having him move back in with my parents to see if that will alleviate potential stress and see if his digestive issues clear up.

Charlie is the 4th male guinea pig I've had and he is the first to have this issue. Any help/guidance anyone could offer would be much appreciated!

Also - this is my 1st time ever posting in a forum. I hope creating a new thread is okay! I wasn't sure if I should be asking this as a comment on another thread.

Last edited:

helen105281

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I don't have much experience with impaction, I only know that it can be managed ok at home. Hopefully one of the others will have more information for you.

GPTV

Rescue Buddy
Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Impaction is caused by weakening back muscles; it is chronic once you have and it tends to get worse over the time in the degree that the muscles weaken further. it is good that you are having him checked by a vet to make sure that there isn't any other problem or infection.

Please make sure that Sheamus' diet contains lots of fibre (you could try including fibreplex). I would also recommend to add extra vitamin C to his diet.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/impaction-recovery-how-to-help-your-guinea-pig.120787/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...vitamin-c-overview-with-product-links.115404/
hi there, there are two other threads from members @Lilly & @Kerrie74 at the moment. here is a quote from the latter thread that wiebke posted. there is an informative little video on the cleaning process in one of these too.
... click on either of the green links & i have tagged the two members they may be able to help?

i have no experience of boys myself, but i'm sure i have read somewhere on here that if they get enough exercise running around, this helps to keep the muscles strong in the relevant areas, making passing poops easier, also teeth, hydration or digestive/blockage problems can bring on impaction issues. best to get him checked out if in the least worried about him &get given the once over with a cavy savvy vet (try using the vet locator at the top of the page for recommended furball vets, (if not happy with current vets) . .

Welcome to the forum too. :)

Good luck from the girls & I
& fingers crossed this is a short lived problem
xx

furryfriends (TEAS)

Forum Founder
Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Director at TEAS (East Hunsbury) Northampton
The worst case of impaction I have dealt with was a boar who had been rescued from severe neglect. He would have a tennis ball sized lump of poo to remove twice a day. However, as he ate a better diet, got proper exercise and generally better health, this improved significantly and whilst he always had an impaction problem, it was very slight.

Kerrie74

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It turns out that Sheamus' bottom keeps getting blocked up because he has two bladder stones, he's having an op on Wednesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.