• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Impaction Recurrence....please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magician

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So, I posted a few days ago about my piggy, Aladdin, getting an impaction....for a few days he seemed to be getting better, but now that is no longer the case!

This morning he had a very large impaction of both cecal and hard pellet faeces, and also this evening a sizeable lump of cecal faeces at the entrance to his rectum. Both times I have cleared the primary blockage, but his abdomen/hind quarters area seems very bloated, giving him a very pear-shaped, almost pregnant appearance. Any gentle investigation I have attempted to do by pressing my fingers ever-so very gently on his stomach has resulted in an offended squeak! and him trying to jump up and run off.

He and his brother have not had playtime in a very long while now to make him easier to monitor, and I have increased his fruit and vegetable intake a tiny bit, but nothing seems to be helping. Tonight I even gave them both half an apple, but still had to clear him only a few moments ago.

So, my question is...what is causing this? How can I prevent it? Is there anything I could do to cure it? Maybe give him a warm bath or feed him something specific? Also is there anything I can do to stop Lenny suffering from the same thing?

Please help - I’m so worried about my little furry teddy.

Caron's Cavies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sorry I do not know as none of mine have had this problem.

However if this was my piggy I would be going to my vet if he is bloated and obviously sore when you touch him. Is your vet a piggy savvy vet?

Giving him a bath is not going to solve the problem unfortunately.

I will tag @helen105281 for you as she may be able to give you more advice. Or she will know who to tag who can.

From memory I believe if it is bloat the best thing to do is give him Woodwards Gripe Water. That is the one used for babies and you should be able to get it at any chemist or supermarket. I think Helen has experience of this and will be able to advise on dosage etc.

I am sure others will come along soon who can help.

Kerrie74

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I already told you my experience with impaction (my boar had bladder stones and had impaction several times a day) when you posted before, I would definitely get him seen by a vet that knows about guinea's if you can.

I hope you manage to find out what's wrong with the poor lad.

Magician

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sorry I do not know as none of mine have had this problem.

However if this was my piggy I would be going to my vet if he is bloated and obviously sore when you touch him. Is your vet a piggy savvy vet?

Giving him a bath is not going to solve the problem unfortunately.

I will tag @helen105281 for you as she may be able to give you more advice. Or she will know who to tag who can.

From memory I believe if it is bloat the best thing to do is give him Woodwards Gripe Water. That is the one used for babies and you should be able to get it at any chemist or supermarket. I think Helen has experience of this and will be able to advise on dosage etc.

I am sure others will come along soon who can help.
Okay, I will try the Gripe Water - if not it's the vet this weekend. I'm getting really worried now - our vet's amazing with pigs though. He's got two of his own :)

I already told you my experience with impaction (my boar had bladder stones and had impaction several times a day) when you posted before, I would definitely get him seen by a vet that knows about guinea's if you can.

I hope you manage to find out what's wrong with the poor lad.
OKay. I tend to fret about taking small furries to the vet - plus it's expensive - due to the stress on both pigs. But I will, if this water does not work, or it doesn't clear of its own accord like last time. Mainly it's the tenderness that I'm worried about.

Thank you both.

MintyAndGarry (TEAS)

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Director at TEAS (West Hunsbury), Northampton, UK
I would get him seen by a vet as soon as you can, if he seems to be in pain - but the two may not be connected. Gripe water isn't designed for piggies and should only really be used in an absolute emergency. It may not even be bloat you are dealing with and, if it is, you will need to have the correct treatment for a positive outcome.

However, with regards to impaction, it can just happen. It generally happens to older boars, but can happen to younger ones too. I had a younger boy who had a weaker back end (after some trauma in a previous home) and he was prone to impaction, as his muscles were not as strong as they should have been. He needed to be cleaned twice a day.

Exercise may help, as can a reduction in weight, if a piggy is carrying a few extra grams.

Magician

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I would get him seen by a vet as soon as you can, if he seems to be in pain - but the two may not be connected. Gripe water isn't designed for piggies and should only really be used in an absolute emergency. It may not even be bloat you are dealing with and, if it is, you will need to have the correct treatment for a positive outcome.

However, with regards to impaction, it can just happen. It generally happens to older boars, but can happen to younger ones too. I had a younger boy who had a weaker back end (after some trauma in a previous home) and he was prone to impaction, as his muscles were not as strong as they should have been. He needed to be cleaned twice a day.

Exercise may help, as can a reduction in weight, if a piggy is carrying a few extra grams.
Okay. The soonest I'd be able to take him to the vets would be Saturday or I could get a friend of mine round (who's a very capable cavy vet) tomorrow. I will see how he is then. Can it be caused by a drop in environment temperature? Last night the rodent room was only 13 degrees celsius - about 57 fahrenheit i think. And also last time i weighed Aladdin he was 1100 grams, but that was in summer when they were being put out in their run on the grass for a lot of the day. he's not been weighed since about august time as our scales broke. But he's lost weight since summer - now maybe 900 - 1000 grams.
I can cope with cleaning him as often as he needs it, but I'm worried about how tender he seemed. I'm also trying out for dietary triggers - for example the day before yesterday he had broccoli and then he had a 'flare up'. It's all just guess work - but i suppose it may pay off. Worth trying anyway.

helen105281

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Gripe water can help as a supplement to veterinary treatment but if you could get your vet friend to look at him as soon as possible that would be the best thing so that he can be properly diagnosed. In the meantime try to keep him moving and give him plenty of fluids.

Status
Not open for further replies.