• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

incensed at what we saw today

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevncaz

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi . all , ive finally calmed down enough to post this . Me and Caz were in hollybush today ( a large garden centre,aquarium,pet shop ) , we had too change an air pump , which they did with no problem , we as usual , had a wander up towards the pet section , had a look at the 2 fantsatic looking blue and gold macaws , and went into there new section where they have various pets , cockatiels , budgies , guinea pigs and the like , when we were absolutelt outraged at what we saw , they had in the guine pigs the smallest females , they looked 3 weeks (wheeks ?) old at the most , while we appreciate that boars should be seperated from there mothers at this age , we were further incensed to find that there were similar sized girls for sale too !
Now our own cookie is not the biggest of sows , but , she is 10 weeks old , and dwarfs all of those that we saw !
Caz asked the staff how old they were and was told that they were 8 , yes 8 weeks old !, I'm sorry but there is no way whatsoever that they could possibly be that old , so Caz informed them that they were either being told that these piggies were older than they actually were or were knowingly selling guinnies way way too young
Ok temper rising again , sorry for the length of the post , but we certainly wont be visiting there pet section again , Hollybush has lost our custom , still undecided as wheteher or not too report them , but who would we report them too ?
thanks for reading , x Kev and Caz x

Hi . all , ive finally calmed down enough to post this . Me and Caz were in hollybush today ( a large garden centre,aquarium,pet shop ) , we had too change an air pump , which they did with no problem , we as usual , had a wander up towards the pet section , had a look at the 2 fantastic looking blue and gold macaws , and went into there new section where they have various pets , cockatiels , budgies , guinea pigs and the like , when we were absolutely outraged at what we saw , they had in the guinea pigs the smallest females , they looked 3 weeks (weeks ?) old at the most , while we appreciate that boars should be separated from there mothers at this age , we were further incensed to find that there were similar sized girls for sale too !
Now our own cookie is not the biggest of sows , but , she is 10 weeks old , and dwarfs all of those that we saw !
Caz asked the staff how old they were and was told that they were 8 , yes 8 weeks old !, I'm sorry but there is no way whatsoever that they could possibly be that old , so Caz informed them that they were either being told that these piggies were older than they actually were or were knowingly selling guinness way way too young
Ok temper rising again , sorry for the length of the post , but we certainly wont be visiting there pet section again , Hollybush has lost our custom , still undecided as whether or not too report them , but who would we report them too ?
thanks for reading , x Kev and Caz x

when the pet shop near me kept a lizard with a broken leg which was getting no vet treatment someone inform the RSPCA who threatened to close them down.its worth contacting them has they have to check out all reports made.

I think you can report them both to the rspca and the council who license them

I'd definately report your concerns to the local council that licence's them to sell live animals.

i saw an advert on one of the pet selling sites online with someone selling a guinea pig they got from PAH that was 4 weeks old, it was on more than one site so cant see how it was a mistake either that or the person selling it is a complete muppet.

1st Update

Hi , kev here , i have contacted both the R.S.P.C.A. and the local council this morning to express our concerns .
The R.S.P.C.A. have been in and checked the piggies and the inspector that rang me said that she was happy that the piggies were in good health and kept in good condition , she also said that she was told that the piggies were 8 weeks old and was happy to accept the age ,
Ok were reasonable newbies here to piggies but you could have fitted any of these litle darlings in the palm of your hand without any hang over or being bunched up so to speak .
The council said that they were due into hollybush in the next few days as there license was up for renewal , and had a visit planned and would get back to me .
Were not critising the RSPCA, and are very impressed how quickly that they responded to our complaint . Were just worried that both hollybush and the RSPCA inspector may have been misinformed about the size of 8 week old piggies .
Are we being over sensitive to the size of 8 week old piggies ? Any advice would be greatfully received !
Does anyone know how much training that inspectors get re each different animal that they may encounter ?

xx Kev n Caz xx

I don't think they get that much training - the officer who did my home check knew nothing about guinea pigs! They are only trained to check general condition and set-up etc.

That you have seen babies that were way too young to be sold is not so rare. One of my first couple of shop piggies was another undernourished tiny bundle of just fur and bones that was by no way the 8 weeks old they said! Her companions surprise babies were at not even three weeks old bigger than she'd been when I got her - and they had been on the smallish side of normal when they were born!

Last edited:
I'm really sorry but i have no faith in the RSPCA, i would get in touch with enviromental health and the council.

The RSPCA give all the Rubbish about helping animal's being abused.
The dont care about animals at all.
(sorry about the rant but i'm annoyed with the rspaca)

x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back