Increased Thirst?

JaseChase

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm hoping everyone is just going to tell me that I'm being an overcautious piggie parent, but Noodle has been worrying me a bit the past few days.

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that he stopped going straight for the coriander at veggie time (it's always been his favourite) and instead dives for the lettuce/cucumber/watery veg. Also, the amount of water in their bottles is going down significantly more - not drastically, but enough to notice a definite change. The two of them used to only get through about a quarter of both bottles, but now over half of one is gone in a day, and about a third of the other, too.

Noodle's an eight month old boar and he lives with his brother, they've had no health problems so far at all. He seems fine in himself, his weight is still going up (1037g last weigh day, the week before that he was 1012g, before that 978g) and he's still active, zooming around and doing popcorns and rumbling away. I've not noticed any problems chewing or with his pee - just the usual couple of calcium deposits (they're on a low calcium diet and I filter their water) and he's still munching on plenty of hay.

Any ideas? Or should I stop overthinking and his taste has just changed?

Also, I hope this is the right section to post this in - I didn't want to put it in the health and illness section and distract from the real health troubles there over what is probably nothing

Thank you for any advice, here is piggie tax:

IMG_2425.jpg

Claire W

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
I really wouldn’t worry unless he starts drinking a significant amount and starts losing weight instead of gaining. It could just be that he is warmer than usual or has got a taste for the water. I have 4 piggies sharing two bottles and it varies on how much they drink

Viennese Furbabies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Tastes can vary and the amount of drinking depends on different factors. Some piggies also seem to develop a habit of drinking.
So I don't think you have to worry.

But excessive drinking can be a symptom of diabetes.

JaseChase

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you both! I think considering that his weight and behaviour is fine, then I'm probably just overworrying - but I'll keep an eye on things and if his weight starts to go down at any point I'll pop him to the vet just for a check.

He's probably just being fussy though tbh! He's happily accepted some coriander this evening for the first time in a while so I think he's just a picky piggie to be honest 😂

Viennese Furbabies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Some piggies can be very picky. ;)
Odi and cucumber :( ... if the girls wouldn't eat it without a fuss I would think something is wrong with it on some days.