• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Increasing the Cage Size

TheWillowPigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
At the minute I have 3 sows in a 2x5 in an L-shape. If I was to turn it into a 3x4 will that be big enough for 5 sows?

We've recently taken on 2 new sows after their owner sadly passed away, and I hope to introduce them to my 3 sows after they've had a quarentine period.

Just want to make sure that a 3x4 C&C meets the minimum requirement for 5 sows!

3x4 is equivalent to 2x6, which I think is the recommended minimum for 4 girls. 2x7 is the recommended minimum for 5.

2x6 is the rspca minimum for 5 girls, but the forum recommends a minimum of 2x7 if possible. My 2x7 feels crowed with just three when they come into season!

Ah, okay. I will see what I can do. At least I will be able to reach the RSPCA minimum.

My pigs also get floor time during the day as I can open their cage and let them run around the room. They hop back in to hop to the loo!

Yes isnt it the recommended minumum to have 2x4 for 2 then add another 1x2 for each extra piggy? So 2x7 for 5, possibly more if there's a boar- we had an 8x2 L-shaped space for 4 girls and a husboar and I also got the feeling it sometimes wasnt enough when Piggle was in season!

The RSPCA minimum is 2x3 for 2 girls and then an extra 1x2 per piggo so it would be 2x6, which I can easily do.

Getting a 2x7 may take some working out!

If they get floor time and get along themselves, then 2x6 would probably be fine, but cages do start to look smaller after time! I’d love to expand mine even more, but I need the space in the room to put all their stuff and I’m not a neat cleaner-outer and I think I’d struggle with less room space !

I suppose I'll have to see how well they get along before I make a permanent decision on how to arrange the room and cage!

Could you go C shaped or T-shaped rather than L-shaped? Like add an extra loft size section at floor level to make an extra little room you can fill with hay?

Their current cage is an L-shape, I'm planning on turning it into a rectangle :) I could potentially add a 1x3 loft or something?

Back