• UK storm warning - Danger of unseasonal high winds and falling trees! Please secure any hutches and sheds, and bring your guinea pigs and rabbits indoors if possible! Click Here for info

Indoor and outdoor living

Mel78

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I have 2 indoor piggies who I would like to start living outside, in a big hutch in my shed. During winter, I plan on putting them outside in the hutch during the day, but bringing them back in overnight until it’s much warmer in spring. Will they manage ok in a much smaller ‘bedroom’ that’s just for nighttime?

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello and Welcome to the Forum.
:wel:

To start with it would be helpful to know roughly where you live, so we can get an idea of what your Winter and Summer temperatures are like.

However I would say that in most places it is simply not possible to put your piggies outside during the day and then bring them in at night in Winter - the temperature difference is simply too great.
A temperature change of more than 3 - 4 degrees centigrade is too much for them to tolerate on a regular basis, so you really need to commit to full time inside or outside.
Also are your piggies boys or girls, and how old are they?
What is the size of their proposed day time area and their night time area?

If you are able to offer a bit more information I am sure you will receive lots of helpful replies and advice.