• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Indoor Cages, Fleece And Vet Bed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maisy and Poppy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hiya,
In Spring piggies will be indoors as we are moving house and I wanted advice and opinions on these :

C and c : what size for 2 sows? My parents say they will get a ferplast 120 but I told it is too small and they won't listen. How do I convince them to get a bigger cage? Any other good cagrs? Cat proof ones?

Fleece and vet bed :
What's the difference? It started to smell when piggies where kept inside at my friends house!

Litter trays: what's the best litter that does not stick to fleece or vet bed? What room would they be best in? Boot room, hallway, kitchen, family room, study or lounge?
My parent's don't want them upstairs because they say it is in unhygienic, living room don't want to spoil carpet, study don't want guinea pig cages taking up all the space, family room tv and would be lots of toys - my sisters!
Just so unfair! My parents have so many excuses!
My sister wants a cat too and I hate cats!:(
Many thanks!

It really does not sound like your parents are keen on you having the girls inside. It is not hygienic at all. Guinea pigs are very clean and if the cage is looked after there will be no smell.

If you choose a c and c cage then it needs to be a minimum of 2 by 4. As your parents do not want the girls out I wonder if they would agree to the cage being made big enough not to need floor time. My cage is 3 by 8 so I do not need to give floor time. This works well for me as they were always nervous during floor time but now they just stay content.

I use towels and vet bed. This needs to all be washed every three days. I have never found it smelled when I follow that. I prefer vet bed to fleece because it is softer and designed especially to wick urine away. I used to use fleece and found it was quite wet after two days.

You asked which room they should be in but your parents have disagreed with all the options so I do not know what to say. If they get a cat then the cage must have a roof to protect the pigs.

I hope I have answered your questions.

Hi I use vet bed,as my husband is very fussy about smell, wash it in non bio powders with a dash of white vinegar .you can use a quick wash programme at 30 degrees ,and honest they don't smell and the piggys stay dry, make sure you have a black bag to brush off any hay bits , also I pop mine in an old pillow case so no bits go in the machine , and don't forget to tie up the pillow case ,tell your mum this really does work,my daughter and I used to keep fancy Rats and they do smell, as piggys are vegatarians,they don't smell.good luck:D

Hi I use vet bed,as my husband is very fussy about smell, wash it in non bio powders with a dash of white vinegar .you can use a quick wash programme at 30 degrees ,and honest they don't smell and the piggys stay dry, make sure you have a black bag to brush off any hay bits , also I pop mine in an old pillow case so no bits go in the machine , and don't forget to tie up the pillow case ,tell your mum this really does work,my daughter and I used to keep fancy Rats and they do smell, as piggys are vegatarians,they don't smell.good luck:D
Thanks, I don't know what to choose : fleece or vet bed ?

This is a really good idea! I use fleece and I brought cat litter trays as the piggies like to sit and bury in hay ,so I use woodshavings in the bottom of tray the a big pile of hay on top. I have 2 of these in each run and it works well for my pigs. I change the fleece each day and wash it, but there is fluff and bits of hay in my machine lol. So thanks I will try the pillow case idea, never thought of that!

I found that fleece never smelt for me. I wash/change (clean the whole cage) mine once a week. My parents (particularly my mum) wanted to keep the guinea pigs outside because she thought they'd smell. When we got them, my dad let us keep them inside for the first few days and then they realised that the piggies weren't smelly/messy and they let me keep them inside. If you prepare fleece correctly, it will wick away liquid. Just make sure you have something good to absorb all the liquid that passes through the fleece so it won't smell. If you have a cat you'll have to design a c & c cage with a lid so the cat won't be able to get to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back