• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Indoor pig going outdoors at boarders

Sian25

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm away on holiday from Monday and Effie is off to a piggy boarder tomorrow. I have only just found out that she will be staying in an outside hutch! I thought that she would be one of the hutches in their shed, but it turns out that they are unavailable. Effie has never been kept outdoors before and I'm worrying about the temperature change. Will she adapt okay?

I'm away on holiday from Monday and Effie is off to a piggy boarder tomorrow. I have only just found out that she will be staying in an outside hutch! I thought that she would be one of the hutches in their shed, but it turns out that they are unavailable. Effie has never been kept outdoors before and I'm worrying about the temperature change. Will she adapt okay?

Make sure that she has a snugglesafe that can be heated mornings and evenings on cold days and a walk-in cardboard box filled with soft hay to snuggle into for extra insulation as the weather is not going to be nice next week. The snugglesafe can be slipped underneath the box. I assume that the hutches have got tarpaulin for insulation?

I am very sorry for the timing and for the bad news, but at least you do not have to worry about a heat spike.

How long are you away for?

She is supposed to be going at 10am in the morning, so I'm really worried now! I will go to pets at home as soon as it opens and hope they have snuggle safes in.

I have no idea about the tarpaulin @Wiebke as this is the first I heard about them being indoors. The lady is the most popular piggy boarder in my area and I read that her shes have heating etc, which I thought was perfect, but it came up in conversation this evening that they are unavailable (not sure why as I booked with her back in August) and she doesnt put the heating on in summer anyway. We are away for 2 weeks.

No @VickiA it's just the outside hutches available. I did voice my concerns about her being outside but she reassured me that most of her clients are indoors pigs and they adjust well as it's not winter.

This is the page that I read when booking so assumed she would be in the heat controlled shed!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190609-013048_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190609-013048_Chrome.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 18
Sorry you're having a worry over this, not nice before you go on holiday. However from the reviews & what I have read online about them, they seem reputable & completely pamper the piggies in their care. It really isn't too cold at the moment & although my piggie is brought in each eve to an insulated shed, if he were in the outdoor hutch I wouldn't worry as long as he had enough warm bedding/ lots of hay. That said, my piggies are used to the outdoors whereas Effie isn't but as long as they know this & give you plenty of assurances in the morning I am sure she will be well looked after. Pets at home mostly always have snugglesafes so grab one first thing and take that with you. They have their reputation to consider, they adopt for the RSPCA and they are fully insured so not much else you can ask for. If you are concerned, they may well make room for her inside. Good luck in the morning, let us know how u go & have a worry free holiday 🤗 x

@Darcey15 yes she is reputable in my area, which I think is probably why I haven't really thought much about where exactly she will be staying, particularly as I knew she had heated sheds.

Does anyone know which heatpad? The £22 says for small animals so I'm guessing that one and that the £14 one isnt suitable? Only as I'll be in a super rush in the morning as pets at home doesnt open until 10, which is when she is supposed to be at the boarders so I will have to grab one and head straight to the till, with no time to be comparing them

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190609-020536_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190609-020536_Chrome.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20190609-020552_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190609-020552_Chrome.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Buy both and return one after holiday, if you have the money and if you can return after 2 weeks? Sorry to butt in

@Darcey15 yes she is reputable in my area, which I think is probably why I haven't really thought much about where exactly she will be staying, particularly as I knew she had heated sheds.

Does anyone know which heatpad? The £22 says for small animals so I'm guessing that one and that the £14 one isnt suitable? Only as I'll be in a super rush in the morning as pets at home doesnt open until 10, which is when she is supposed to be at the boarders so I will have to grab one and head straight to the till, with no time to be comparing them

They are the same heat pads! I am just mentioning it as Effie is not the youngest and we have some unseasonable cold nights at the moment.

I looked at them both and couldnt see a difference, but why is one more expensive? Doesnt make sense if they are on the same web site

The cheaper one says "with cover" rather than "for small animals" and the dimensions shown are 1cm smaller, but that may not be absolutely accurate and doesn't of itself justify the price difference. It's probably just a way of making more profit, by badging it differently.

Back