Info. please!

Tori9719

New Born Pup
Reaction score
**New Member: Tori Johnson, Columbus, OH.
(NEED INFO PLEASE)
Describes *GRAPHIC CONTENT*
I’ve grown up with regular guinea pigs, they were never considered pets, but part of the family. I never had any issues with them, nor did my other family members with their little pigs.

I took a break from having them after my last little piggy friend of 6 years passed away.
I made the jump to get another a few years later, being last week.

I went to the “most recommended” pet store in my area. Maybe that was my mistake..but I ran into “Skinny Pigs” and I thought why not!? I’ve had good luck in the past with my previous guinea pigs, I knew the care may be a little different so I did my research before purchasing.

I purchased one, there were two available. The pet store insisted I get two but I settled with the friendliest one. Which happened to be the smaller one.

I thought about the other piggy that I left behind and how it could be affected by being alone and then I thought well I don’t want mine to get lonely so I went back to the pet store that next morning and purchased the bigger one also. The pet store said that the two would do well together since they arrived at the pet store together. So I never once thought I was making a mistake.

A week passed, within that week the two pigs were happy as could be. Enjoying each other and I was enjoying them!

Today, I went to get both of them out to play and have a treat well, the bigger black one was literally attacking the little pink one to death. It ate its ears and legs off, along with its stomach. My husband tried to intervene but it was unfortunately too late.

I had NEVER seen anything like it in my life. It was horrifying.

So I called the pet store asking if I had done anything wrong, or if I made some sort of mistake for that to happen. They were appalled and said that they’d never heard of one skinny pig eating another to death. They asked me to bring the one that was still alive back into the pet store to RESELL which made me nervous after seeing what it did.

After explaining all that, I guess my questions are..

Is that a common behavior? Should I have just gotten the one and not the other? Can anyone think of a reason as to why the one displayed such aggressive behavior?

-They had a big enough cage.
-Always stocked up on food and water.
So I am at a loss.

The pet store said that “skinny pigs” are genetically modified and that the bigger pig that attacked could have very well had a neurological issue or some sort of disease.

I know I won’t ever know the answer as to why this happened for sure, but I’m just so curious.

Thanks for your feedback in advance.

ThatPurpleB

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm sorry you went through this. Sounds terrifying.

Skinny pigs arent genetically modified, they came about as a natural mutation in genes, just as any other genetic variation occurs. No more likely to have diseases or neurological issues as their furry friends.

As a new skinny pig owner myself I cant offer much other advice but am sorry this happened and cant imagine how you must feel. 💜

Tori9719

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I'm sorry you went through this. Sounds terrifying.

Skinny pigs arent genetically modified, they came about as a natural mutation in genes, just as any other genetic variation occurs. No more likely to have diseases or neurological issues as their furry friends.

As a new skinny pig owner myself I cant offer much other advice but am sorry this happened and cant imagine how you must feel. 💜
Thank you so much for your reply, I appreciate the info. It’s definitely been a lot to take in.💜

ThatPurpleB

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your reply, I appreciate the info. It’s definitely been a lot to take in.💜
I'm sure in the morning some one else will offer more helpful advice. Its 2am in the UK where most ppl on the forum are from.

You're probably right though and will never really know what happened.

If you keep the black one they are normally wonderful pets. I have 2 skinnies, a black one called Nova and a pink and brown one called Luna.

Tori9719

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I'm sure in the morning some one else will offer more helpful advice. Its 2am in the UK where most ppl on the forum are from.

You're probably right though and will never really know what happened.

If you keep the black one they are normally wonderful pets. I have 2 skinnies, a black one called Nova and a pink and brown one called Luna.
Okay, thank you! I love those names..so cute!

Willow1825

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I really sorry you had to go through that. I don't have any experience with skinny pigs or guinea pigs in general (I got my first two boys about 2 months ago) but if you're planning on keeping the other piggy, then he still probably needs a buddy.
I understand you probably don't want to put him in a cage with another piggy again, so maybe you could use a cage with a divider so they can still interact but cannot hurt each other and only let them be together when they're under supervision.
I really don't think it's a good idea to return him to the pet store to resell as this could result in the event happening again.
I'm not sure what you should do if you want to return him. Maybe a rescue centre would be a better idea.

Willow1825

New Born Pup
Reaction score
You should also get him checked out by a vet in case he attacked because he's sick. That's one of the reasons why. Others are a small cage or boredom.

Tori9719

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I really sorry you had to go through that. I don't have any experience with skinny pigs or guinea pigs in general (I got my first two boys about 2 months ago) but if you're planning on keeping the other piggy, then he still probably needs a buddy.
I understand you probably don't want to put him in a cage with another piggy again, so maybe you could use a cage with a divider so they can still interact but cannot hurt each other and only let them be together when they're under supervision.
I really don't think it's a good idea to return him to the pet store to resell as this could result in the event happening again.
I'm not sure what you should do if you want to return him. Maybe a rescue centre would be a better idea.
Thank you for your response! That was my exact thought of returning it to the pet store, I’d hate for someone else to go through what I did. Then I thought well, my son helps me take care of it and if by chance it does have some sort of disease, or displays that aggressive behavior I’d hate for him to get bit. A divider is a great idea! Never thought about that. I think choosing a rescue center would be the best option, I’m going to see if there’s one in my area. Thanks again!

Freela

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just to clarify, did someone actually see the remaining pig attack an obviously-living companion? Or was the piggy chewing on a companion who had possibly already died? Guinea pigs are generally not that aggressive, but they will react to a dead companion by nuzzling/licking/sometimes chewing the body, either as an emotional reaction or an attempt to wake them up. If no one witnessed an actual attack on an obviously living, moving, squealing victim, I would wonder if it's possible that the other pig died of an illness or other natural cause and the remaining pig overzealously inflicted a lot of damage postmortem.

As for it being a skinny pig, the pet store is incorrect that they are genetically modified... the hairlessness is a spontaneous mutation that is now selectively bred for. They're as 'natural' as any other fur difference, which all arose from natural mutations. So I doubt being a skinny has anything to do with it.

I wish I could shed more light, it seems like a very unusual situation! I'm so sorry for how upsetting it must have been!

Tori9719

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Just to clarify, did someone actually see the remaining pig attack an obviously-living companion? Or was the piggy chewing on a companion who had possibly already died? Guinea pigs are generally not that aggressive, but they will react to a dead companion by nuzzling/licking/sometimes chewing the body, either as an emotional reaction or an attempt to wake them up. If no one witnessed an actual attack on an obviously living, moving, squealing victim, I would wonder if it's possible that the other pig died of an illness or other natural cause and the remaining pig overzealously inflicted a lot of damage postmortem.

As for it being a skinny pig, the pet store is incorrect that they are genetically modified... the hairlessness is a spontaneous mutation that is now selectively bred for. They're as 'natural' as any other fur difference, which all arose from natural mutations. So I doubt being a skinny has anything to do with it.

I wish I could shed more light, it seems like a very unusual situation! I'm so sorry for how upsetting it must have been!
I had just checked on them maybe 3-4 hrs before the incident. After leaving I did hear quite a bit of high pitch squeals. Honestly, I didn’t think too much of it. I then went to check on them after those hrs passed and that’s when I witnessed the one eating the other. To me it looked as if it was still breathing but as soon I saw what was going on I ran and got my husband and refused to go near after that. He says he thinks it had just quit breathing before we found it because it was twitching. This whole situation is so bizarre to me!
Thanks for your response, and the info. I truly appreciate you taking the time.

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I’m sorry for your loss. As mentioned above, sometimes they will try to revive a dead/dying companion and that’s likely the cause of the bite marks/injuries. Piggies don’t eat each other nor attack each other to death.

I would get piggy checked over by the vet then double check the sex. Once you know that you can look to get him/her a friend. The best way would be through dating at a rescue. If (s)he’s young or you don’t have rescues nearby you may have to go to the pet shop again.
Illustrated Sexing Guide
Guinea Lynx :: GL's Vet List
Guinea Lynx :: US Guinea Pig Rescue and Shelter Organizations

@Willow1825 if two piggies don’t like each other or don’t live together for whatever reason, then they can’t spend time together at all.