• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Inspiration Needed..

Ratpigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So the 2 girls are temporarily in a store brought cage as we are moving hopefully later this year which will give us more space at which time I plan on moving to a c and c cage. I'm looking at getting a fleece liner or 2 and was just wondering what “toilet” area hacks anybody has? We have 2 water bottles at 1 end of the cage and they tend to wee a lot around there I was also thinking of making that area the hay area and hoping there’s some good tips to keep it relatively tidy and smell free. Currently using dust extracted wood shavings and it doesn’t smell or anything just messy to change and not so great for the piggers I’ve heard?

Many thanks.. :)

Hi, and welcome to this lovely friendly forum. There are loads of ideas about for trying to keep them cleaner. My personal choices are: in one cage I have a hayrack (actually a hang-over shower caddy), with a litter tray lined with newspaper underneath, and they also have another litter tray, lined in newspaper and filled with hay. I use noodle bath mats for the other areas where they wee the most (on top of and under their IKEA dolls' bed and under their little house. In the other cage I have a big home-made house, which has a noodle mat under it, and their hay inside. They also have the dolls' bed set up. Since I've been using the noodle mats for the heavy areas, I've been able to reduce a full cage clean to once a week, and just shake them out daily, and change them once in between the full change. My fleece liners are home-made too. I use mattress toppers with fleece sewn on
top. (Padded ones, not the waterproof sheets). I hope this helps.
DSC_0850.JPG DSC_0849.JPG

When my original 2 had a shop bought cage (well online bought) they had a 32 litre underbed storage box as a hay tray and fleece in the rest. I used the shelf for storage.

They had hemp bedding under the hay in the storage box. It worked well. Extra mats under hidies are always good.

szkj2w.jpg

2mx0cqd.jpg

Hi, and welcome to this lovely friendly forum. There are loads of ideas about for trying to keep them cleaner. My personal choices are: in one cage I have a hayrack (actually a hang-over shower caddy), with a litter tray lined with newspaper underneath, and they also have another litter tray, lined in newspaper and filled with hay. I use noodle bath mats for the other areas where they wee the most (on top of and under their IKEA dolls' bed and under their little house. In the other cage I have a big home-made house, which has a noodle mat under it, and their hay inside. They also have the dolls' bed set up. Since I've been using the noodle mats for the heavy areas, I've been able to reduce a full cage clean to once a week, and just shake them out daily, and change them once in between the full change. My fleece liners are home-made too. I use mattress toppers with fleece sewn on
top. (Padded ones, not the waterproof sheets). I hope this helps.
View attachment 81893 View attachment 81894

Could I ask where you get “noodle mats” from please? Are these better than a patch of fleece or vet bed? :)

Hi. I find my girls tend to wee in their hay trays, however, they did start to wee in the corner of their pen so I put a corner loo in there with a blanket in which they now use regularly as a toilet!, they do not wee on the fleece at all which is fab, meaning I change fleece once a week and daily spot clean the hay trays,I change the wee blanket every couple of days!IMG_20180226_112712.jpg

Hi. I find my girls tend to wee in their hay trays, however, they did start to wee in the corner of their pen so I put a corner loo in there with a blanket in which they now use regularly as a toilet!, they do not wee on the fleece at all which is fab, meaning I change fleece once a week and daily spot clean the hay trays,I change the wee blanket every couple of days!View attachment 81921

Perhaps a search around some shops for a small box/tray type thing to have as a hay tray underneath the water bottles would work well as that’s where they tend to wee most..

Could I ask where you get “noodle mats” from please? Are these better than a patch of fleece or vet bed? :)

Hi, vetbed is probably a bit better, but expensive. The noodle mats are just bath mats. You can pick them up in B&M, Home Bargains, IKEA etc. for around £6. I like them because you can match the colours to the fleece. I avoid tumble drying them though, as they have a slight water resistant coating on the underside, which is destroyed by tumbling.

Whats the advantage of the noodle mats? Dont they make the piggies bellies wet?

The wee wicks through to what’s underneath. When I use them in the boys’ cage then I can extend the full change by about 3 days.

Back