Insulate Outside Hutch in Summer?

LuH

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello
I moved my 2 girls outside yesterday for the summer months (they are 4.5months old).
Do people leave the hutch uncovered in the day? (They will have time in a run).
The insulator states it can be used summer or winter? Do you have the insulator and cover on?
What do you do for evening?
I am trying to figure out the balance of temperature v’s draughts etc and new to owning guinea pigs!
The have a large hutch which is in the shade for most of the day (the top left is filled with auboise & hay with a 2nd hay tray bottom right).
Any tips gratefully received, it feels strange moving them out so want to make sure we are doing it right!
Thank you 😊

How sheltered is the hutch?
Our rabbits live outside in a hutch, but the hutch itself is inside an open fronted lean to structure.
This means that even if we get a storm or heavy rain, the insdie doesn't get wet.

I think if the hutch is pretty sheltered or has a roof with a decent overhang it should be fine not to use the covers in the Summer.
Covers can actually be incredibly dangerous - turning a hutch into an oven in a matter of hours when the sun is shining.

Can you try and post a picture from further away sowe can get an idea of the location?

It's a great hutch by the way - your pigies are very lucky.

Reactions: LuH
How sheltered is the hutch?
Our rabbits live outside in a hutch, but the hutch itself is inside an open fronted lean to structure.
This means that even if we get a storm or heavy rain, the insdie doesn't get wet.

I think if the hutch is pretty sheltered or has a roof with a decent overhang it should be fine not to use the covers in the Summer.
Covers can actually be incredibly dangerous - turning a hutch into an oven in a matter of hours when the sun is shining.

Can you try and post a picture from further away sowe can get an idea of the location?

It's a great hutch by the way - your pigies are very lucky.

Hello
Thanks for replying.
It’s not under a shelter but in a corner of the garden by the back door (the wall behind is next doors extension).
Should I remove the cover but leave the insulator on or just remove both?
Thanks again - I’ll put another picture on of the roof (it’s sloping)
Lu

Yes, you should remove the cover when it is summer or it is hot and the sun is shining. You can put the cover on whenever it is winter, or it is cold, raining, storming, windy, or snowing.

@Betsy has this hutch snuggle and the cover with the bye bye fly screen, so I think she is probably the best person to advise from experience.
It looks as though your hutch is protected from wind and rain from the sides, but not so much from above?

Yes, you should remove the cover when it is summer or it is hot and the sun is shining. You can put the cover on whenever it is winter, or it is cold, raining, storming, windy, or snowing.

No please do not remove the hutch cover and insulating layer during the summer. It will help to keep the hutch cooler in hot weather in the same way it keeps the hutch warmer in the cold weather. I have the Chartwell 6ft and keep my covers on constantly. I have the fly screen on during the summer too and generally have the weatherproof front lifted and rolled unless we are expecting rain (sadly seems to be more often than not)

Thanks for tagging me in @Qualcast&Flymo and @Claire W. You should leave both covers on in summer and winter as @Lady Kelly has already advised. I have the same hutch as Lady Kelly and I also keep my covers on all year round and do the same as her. One thing you may find useful is to put a couple of bricks underneath the insulating layer so that the water does not stick around on the top of the hutch when it rains as this can cause the inside of the hutch underneath the roof to grow a bit of mould. A quick spray with F10 and wipe with an old cloth sorts this out though. If you want to get F10 make sure its the Veterinary one.

F10 SC Disinfectant 100ml concentrated solution: F10: Amazon.co.uk: Amazon.co.uk:

It may seem quite pricey but a little goes a long way! I bought mine 18 months ago and still have enough left for 10 x 500ml bottles.

Thanks for tagging me in @Qualcast&Flymo and @Claire W. You should leave both covers on in summer and winter as @Lady Kelly has already advised. I have the same hutch as Lady Kelly and I also keep my covers on all year round and do the same as her. One thing you may find useful is to put a couple of bricks underneath the insulating layer so that the water does not stick around on the top of the hutch when it rains as this can cause the inside of the hutch underneath the roof to grow a bit of mould. A quick spray with F10 and wipe with an old cloth sorts this out though. If you want to get F10 make sure its the Veterinary one.

F10 SC Disinfectant 100ml concentrated solution: F10: Amazon.co.uk: Amazon.co.uk:

It may seem quite pricey but a little goes a long way! I bought mine 18 months ago and still have enough left for 10 x 500ml bottles.

Glad the brick trick is working for you as well :)

Yes i remember saying. I wonder if I should raise it with the company so they can consider the future design
Good idea! The roof def needs a steeper angle. I won't need to worry soon as my piggies will be housed in a garage from August. I just hope I can fit the 16sq ft run in there too so they can do timeshare all year round.

Oh okay. Thank you for the input.
No please do not remove the hutch cover and insulating layer during the summer. It will help to keep the hutch cooler in hot weather in the same way it keeps the hutch warmer in the cold weather. I have the Chartwell 6ft and keep my covers on constantly. I have the fly screen on during the summer too and generally have the weatherproof front lifted and rolled unless we are expecting rain (sadly seems to be more often than not)

Hi @Betsy
Thanks so much for the advice, it’s really helpful. I will get the spray and do the brick trick too!
Lu

Back