• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Insulating a plastic hutch.

What A Boar!

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have a plastic hutch 'Bunny Pod' that I've moved Bill and Ted into. (Moved from a ferplast 100 for more space).
They've been moved from inside to outside but into a brick built shed.
I'm currently moving the hutch, which isn't very heavy at all, from inside the shed at night to outside during the day and attaching it to a covered run with the caged door left open.
It's only temporary until I can get them a permanent bigger hutch that will stay outside.

Any ideas on how to insulate it?
It's double walled plastic.
They currently have the bed compartment stuffed with straw and I've got perspex for the caged door, Just have to cut it to size.
I obviously can't nail anything to it but I do have the tarpaulin for if it's raining and that covers the run aswell.

I’m not sure on insulation but I think those with hutches use thermal and rainproof hutch covers.

I have to ask how big that bunny pod is though. It doesn’t look big enough for two boars I’m afraid. Would you leave the hutch inside the shed and just transfer them to the run during the day? Wouldn’t that be easier as well?

it’s not so cold overnight now and if they are inside the shed at night I wouldn’t be too concerned particularly if you fill it well with hay (I note you say straw though - please don’t use straw for guinea pigs it’s too sharp).

@Siikibam it's not ideal and only temporary until I get a bigger wooden hutch hopefully by the end of the week.
I could move them just out into the run but then there's no shelter from the weather and the shed gets too hot during the day for them to stay in the pod.

@Piggies&buns I did use straw this time cos I couldn't pull apart the hay bale we have. It's vacuum packed tightly into a bag and I'm having a terrible M.E day with no strength. I'll get the kiddies to tear it up tomorrow and I'll switch it. I know they're not supposed to have straw ... :flag:

Sorry to hear you’re not having a good day.
Do they have hay to eat though?
Do you have any fleece blankets or anything you could pop in the hutch for them to snuggle into instead? It’s just that you don’t really want to have a thick layer of straw (I understand it’s temporary) as it is a risk of eye injuries.

Okay. Are you able to bring them into the house if the weather isn’t suitable for lawn time? Sorry you’re having a day. Hope it passes soon.

Yes they have hay to eat. 2 wire racks and a wooden rack full of it. I pull apart the hay into a storage box, when I have the energy, so the piggies never go without. Just didn't have enough to fill the sleeping area with this time.
Won't be buying anymore of those from the farmer though, it's too dusty!
I have new fleeces coming tomorrow but didn't want to use them outside in case where they peed got cold.

Yes they have hay to eat. 2 wire racks and a wooden rack full of it. I pull apart the hay into a storage box, when I have the energy, so the piggies never go without. Just didn't have enough to fill the sleeping area with this time.
Won't be buying anymore of those from the farmer though, it's too dusty!
I have new fleeces coming tomorrow but didn't want to use them outside in case where they peed got cold.

fleece outside should be fine this time of year. My two live in my shed year round and they are now predominantly on fleece from now until around September

Back