• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Insurance...

Camisla

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi there,
I’m wondering whether to take insurance out for my princess with her getting bumblefoot recently. She was a rescue piggie and her feet aren’t the best condition. We are just finishing antibiotics etc and she’s of to see vet again tomorrow. Vet mentioned further tests and X-rays last week so I’m wondering if it would be good idea to get insurance in place in case we have to go down that route.
I have completed a quotation form this morn and have been honest regarding the treatment she’s had so far.
Any advice would be really gratefully received thanks x

There are quite a few members on here who have insurance with exotics direct who are the only insurers who insure guinea pigs.

Or quite a few members me included save up a small amount of money each month and have a vet fund

There’s pros and cons for both

Sorry - edit - just read the whole of your post! My comment was superfluous!

If I remember correctly they may not cover ongoing treatment of an ailment they had prior to getting Insurance...or something like that anyway. Read the policy document but I think they may have mentioned it somewhere when I was getting a quote.
I decided to cancel mine as I didn’t have to claim (thank goodness!) and it just seemed a bit of a waste paying that money out instead of putting it away monthly - which I’m doing now. The cost also went up. Not a significant amount but I don’t know why they need to increase it.

Most insurances will not cover pre-existing conditions that were there when the insurance was taken out and most will not cover issues arising within so many days of taking out insurance. This is to stop people only obtaining insurance when they notice symptoms otherwise the insurance companies would never make any money

We considered insurance but the maximum the piggy insurance would pay out was £2000 per year, if we paid them £20 per month and then there was a £200 excess to pay of we made a claim- so we decided it wasnt worth it really...

I didn’t think you could get insurance for piggies until I read this.
I’m going to stick to my own vet fund. £20 a month is quite expensive

It’s better to do a vet fund @Merab's Slave. But I was a first time pet owner and didn’t want to risk anything with the boys. I wish I’d just put that money away.
@PigglePuggle i went for the higher payout per pig rather than altogether. Cost more but excess was less. Renewal was up to £2000 (I think for both), excess the same but more expensive!

I have a vet fund, which was used a bit at the last visit to the vet, but have been saving up since. They are my family so I do everything I can to provide them with good care.

I am always careful with maintaining clean environment for my piggies and with feeding them good veggies. I think it is easier and cheaper even to try to prevent sickness than to deal with it at the vet. But I do have emergency fund for my pets.

Back