• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Interpretor please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gemma

Hiya

I've got a couple of pigs who at lap time will grind their teeth each time I touch them. When I move my hand away they stop but as soon as I put it back they do it again. It's definately not teeth chattering, I've got a piggy who occasionally does that when I go to his hutch to get him out, this is as if they were chewing hay or something, is it an unhappy sign?

Thanks
Gemma

Are you sure it is teeth griding?
How long have you had your pigs? if not long could just be getting to know you and could be a little scared still

Most of mine will purr when they are touched sounds a little like teeth gently grinding together but is a happy sound

karen

Hi Karen

It's like a munching sound, you know as if they have some hay or food left in their mouth and are chewing it, it's quite a fast sound like when they eat. I've had them several weeks and they are quite nervous but not to the extent they try to get away once you've got hold of them and this is a new thing, they didn't do it before now.

Gemma

Mine do that sometimes. I think they are just eating because they stop after awhile. It might just be that before you pick them up they have been eating.

My Tonic does that all the time he's over 6 and a half now. It's not a problems to me or him. I just say that he's munching or talking to me.

I was once told to see if a pig is really eating check its ears they move with the jaw movement, but mine actually grind their teeth round and round ( teeth dont move) when they are content, so sounds good to me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back