Introducing A Sow To My Bereaved Neutered Boar

Status
Not open for further replies.

piggylover

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
ok I'm really desperate for help here. my lovely piggy dash died on Tuesday night leaving his mate really lonely. ive just got a sow from the local rescue and trying to introduce them both in bath tub covered in towels. hes was rumbling towards her she rumbled back and was nipping him away then there was a furball scuffle so ive split them up. ive never introduced sow to boar before so please help me is that normal behaviour? shes bk in carrier now and hes sitting shivering on lap rumbling in his fear voice . what do I do?

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Give them time to calm down; not every sow will click with every boar.

In your particular case, I would strongly recommend contacting Rabbit & Guinea Pig Boarding and Bonding in Rugby by phone; the lady used to run a highly recommended rescue (Rabbit and Guinea Pig Welfare Rugby) for many years and has all the experience you want in finding out whether the two are character compatible or not. She still offers help with bonding.
https://www.facebook.com/RNGPW

piggylover

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
oh no I lthought boar to boar was hair raising enough but this is just as bad and I'm not really into doing this as only got her to cheer him up as still not ready for another piggy :(

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
oh no I lthought boar to boar was hair raising enough but this is just as bad and I'm not really into doing this as only got her to cheer him up as still not ready for another piggy :(
A mixed gender bonding where the piggies don't click can be as hair-raising as any bonding that is not working out. I have been through plenty of them and in one case had to return a husboar to the rescue, as he was sadly just a smidgeon too dominant for Mrs Grumpy Nerys, so two days into the bonding they ended up with a scuffle. :(

In any case, I wouldn't try anything today and just let the two live alongside each other for now.

If it doesn't work out, there is another rescue in Northampton that may have sows for dating. https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/pages/guinea-pig-rescue-locator/

piggylover

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
ok they really hate each other I put a temporary divide in c and c cage and its constant teeth chattering and luigi is quite scared shivering so she is going back to rescue now :(. Next week they hopefully getting more sows in so they have offered to do the bonding for me as well which is a relieve . its a shame really cus she is such a beautiful looking pig xx

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
ok they really hate each other I put a temporary divide in c and c cage and its constant teeth chattering and luigi is quite scared shivering so she is going back to rescue now :(. Next week they hopefully getting more sows in so they have offered to do the bonding for me as well which is a relieve . its a shame really cus she is such a beautiful looking pig xx
I am very sorry; but sometimes, it is just not to be! :(

piggylover

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I know maybe I rushed into it I don't know but it doesn't help my heart isn't really into it :( he is so depressed I thought it was the right thing to do . anyway hopefully the rescue are going to be pairing him up with a baby sow next weekend fingers crossed that all goes well xx

Status
Not open for further replies.