• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Introducing another boar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maud

Hi, I have 2 boars both under a year old, and have just got a boar (rescued) don't really know the age, they said about 9 months... but I have weighed him and he is only 625g!? He has also had a bath as not to have them smell of any other pigs on him, I have now put the 3 of them in a ball pit, somewhere neutral for them to smell each other.... they seem to have quietened down now, there was lots of sniffing going on slight attempts to mount, lots of 'chatting' only one nose nudge followed by teeth touching, but nothing came of that.... would they be ok to go in the cage together now? I don't want to put the newbie in too soon without their say so as it were? Please help xx

Any advice would be much appreciated :) xx

Polypea

Hi

I'm no expert but when I introduced my piggies I left them on neutral ground for a good couple of hours.

Then before I put them all into the cage together I completely cleaned it out to get rid of the old scents, as much as I could anyway, then rearranged it completely so all of them even the oldies felt like it was a completely new house.
This seems to have worked both times I have introduced newbies to the group, I have 6 piggies now all living happily together.

It's definitely worth a try otherwise your 2 original boars scent will be everywhere and it will still be their territory, if you see what I mean, there may be problems if they feel there is an intruder.
Whereas if everything is new and different for all of them then that problem should be erradicated, all they will need to do then is work out who's boss! :)

Goodluck, I'm sure it will work out fine, I always remember what people have told me about the noises they make etc when introducing newbies and that it always sounds so much worse than it is usually, as long as they don't fight and draw blood, persevere! :)

Maud

Thank you! I have put them back in the cage, they were in the ball pit for a couple of hours, they are all chattering away together chasing each other around... no teeth or bites yet though so just letting them work it out.. I may remove their house and tunnel so that they have no hidey hole to fight over? I didn't have a problem with my sows, I also have 6 sows all living happily together with no problems, didn't realise boys were so different to introduce lol

Thanks again for your advice, will keep you updated x

Maud

Hiya, it seems to have settled down now, still the occasional argument between them, but all in all going well.... hopefully should settle down over the next few days and they will be happy together :)

Status
Not open for further replies.