• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Introducing another guinea pig

Status
Not open for further replies.

xRachaelx

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have 2 sows but I also have a sow on her own, Ive tried to introduce her to other two but Lottie isnt having it, she's always bullying Ruby!
Could anyone give me any help!?
As I would love to put Lottie in with Ruby & Lucy! :)

Have you tied introducing them ina nuetral area, i.e the garden or floor time? This is a good way to get them to know each other, if you just put the new GP in the cage with them the other 2 will act very dominant over it and most probably chase her, but if you introduce them slowly, maybe for a while have her in a cage right next to the other 2 so they can see and sniff each other, i've also heard that completely cleaning the cage and changing it around would also help, also bathing all of the piggies so that they all smell the same, but when you are doing the introduction process however you do it, food is a good distraction. Good luck xx

Introducing a third piggy to an established pair is the bonding most likely not to work out in my own experience. Often a newcomer is simply not wanted and you end up with the classic 2+1 situation.

You can try the whole intro on neutral ground etc., but if that doesn't work out, you'd better look for a new friend of her own for Ruby. You can't force a friendship where there is no will, and the more you try, the more your piggies will dig their claws in! Unfortunately for you, guinea pigs are not the easy and friendly pets they are reputed to be.

Introduction tips:
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=38562

Introducing a third piggy to an established pair is the bonding most likely not to work out in my own experience. Often a newcomer is simply not wanted and you end up with the classic 2+1 situation.

You can try the whole intro on neutral ground etc., but if that doesn't work out, you'd better look for a new friend of her own for Ruby. You can't force a friendship where there is no will, and the more you try, the more your piggies will dig their claws in! Unfortunately for you, guinea pigs are not the easy and friendly pets they are reputed to be.

Introduction tips:

I'm pleased someone mentioned this. I was badly advised by more than one person and a couple of rescues as well (not on this site) that piggies would just get along and one could just be added no problem. I had a trio and tried to make a foursome. I ended up with a single girl. That said she is on the difficuilt side having a had a bad start in life and also being blind but I wish someone had just been honest with me like this from the start. I would still have rescued her but the stress of trying to force a bond could have been prevented.

What's everyone's view on adding a pair to a pair? 2 girls added to 2 girls?

I only ask as last night I popped Honey and Tulip (about 3 months and almost 4 weeks) in the ballpit with Whiskey and Noodles (my 5 year old girls) while I cleaned them out, and it was as if they had been together forever! Whiskey and Noodles loved Tulip and kept grooming her, Honey seemed glad of the break and had a good nose around then a lie down, then all four of them were zooming round the ballpit. Whiskey and Noodles haven't had this much energy for quite some time.

They lived next door to each other for ages and were very happy as such, Whiskey and Noodles watched the babies be born and were quick to come and sniff the bars to Tulip and say hello.

Do you think this is likely to work long term?

I have exactly the same problem!

Ive just had all 3 out on my knee on a cussion. Pixie is absolutly fine with the lone pig (emily) i think its rosie (head pig) thats the trouble. There was a bit of chattering from her then after a while she was barbering emily and pixie was licking her ears!

What's everyone's view on adding a pair to a pair? 2 girls added to 2 girls?

I only ask as last night I popped Honey and Tulip (about 3 months and almost 4 weeks) in the ballpit with Whiskey and Noodles (my 5 year old girls) while I cleaned them out, and it was as if they had been together forever! Whiskey and Noodles loved Tulip and kept grooming her, Honey seemed glad of the break and had a good nose around then a lie down, then all four of them were zooming round the ballpit. Whiskey and Noodles haven't had this much energy for quite some time.

They lived next door to each other for ages and were very happy as such, Whiskey and Noodles watched the babies be born and were quick to come and sniff the bars to Tulip and say hello.

Do you think this is likely to work long term?

Merging two pairs is usually a lot easier; especially when there is a noticeable age/size gap, so hierarchy is not at stake.

Otherwise it may come to some sticky situations between the two head sows and things can occasionally go wrong if two dominant head sows cannot work out a hierarchy between them. Four piggies form a group and start exhibiting group behaviour.

I would think that you have a very good chance that everything will go well if one pair is youngsters. Please brace yourself for some inevitable dominance ("bullying" ) as soon as the short initial acceptance phase is over. It is part of piggy bonding protocol and it is understood by all participants.

Last edited:
Merging two pairs is usually a lot easier; especially when there is a noticeable age/size gap, so hierarchy is not at stake.

Otherwise it may come to some sticky situations between the two head sows and things can occasionally go wrong if two dominant head sows cannot work out a hierarchy between them. Four piggies form a group and start exhibiting group behaviour.

I would think that you have a very good chance that everything will go well if one pair is youngsters. Please brace yourself for some inevitable dominance ("bullying" ) as soon as the short initial acceptance phase is over. It is part of piggy bonding protocol and it is understood by all participants.

Thanks Wiebke. We can cope with a bit of pig bullying, I'll make sure I have the extra food bowls handy!

It was just so nice seeing the older girls acting, well, like kids again, I think when you see the same face for five years and that face is getting as wrinkly as you are it must be quite exciting to have mental balls of fluff popcorning around!

They are apart at the moment so I know I will essentially have to begin again if we do decide to try and make a larger group, will reserve the bathtub...

Have you tied introducing them ina nuetral area, i.e the garden or floor time? This is a good way to get them to know each other, if you just put the new GP in the cage with them the other 2 will act very dominant over it and most probably chase her, but if you introduce them slowly, maybe for a while have her in a cage right next to the other 2 so they can see and sniff each other, i've also heard that completely cleaning the cage and changing it around would also help, also bathing all of the piggies so that they all smell the same, but when you are doing the introduction process however you do it, food is a good distraction. Good luck xx

I did put Lottie's cage next to Lucy & Ruby's, Lottie was fine with that she used to shake her bum lol! But when putting her in a big pen with them it didnt work out, she bullied them all the time. Lottie is so much confident then Ruby & Lucy (Ruby & Lucy where neglected when they were babies, it took us a while to try and get them to trust us again.)

Introduction tips:

So your say I could introduce another guinea pig to Lottie (the guinea pig thats on her own)!?
& leave Lucy & Ruby together :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back