• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Introducing Baby Piggies

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaimerose

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Last thursday i got a 2 and a half month old piggie. he is a male and i want to get him a friend. if they are both from the same place, can i place the two together in one cage right away or do i still have to wait? i know to introduce them on neutral ground and all that but do i have to house the second piggie separately or can i put them together right away after i introduce them?

Last thursday i got a 2 and a half month old piggie. he is a male and i want to get him a friend. if they are both from the same place, can i place the two together in one cage right away or do i still have to wait? i know to introduce them on neutral ground and all that but do i have to house the second piggie separately or can i put them together right away after i introduce them?

Hi and welcome!

As they are from the same place, you wouldn't have to conduct a quarantine. Does the place allow you to bring your little boy, so he can choose who he wants as a new friend? That would make for the most stable bond as the key to any successful boar bond is not age or being related, but mutual liking and character compatibility.

You can house the boars next to each other overnight in adjoining cages or a divided bonding pen, so they can get to know each other and make friends through the bars before you introduce. That takes some of the initial stress factors out of the bonding itself.
With boars you cannot do bonding in small steps; once you start, you have to see it through in one go. If all goes well, you put them in a thoroughly cleaned and newly arranged cage together as they have bonded.

Please take the time to read carefully through our bonding guide. It talks you through all phases and bonding behaviours in detail (including the run-up), when you can move them safely to a new cage, what happens afterwards etc. as well special boar bonding issues.
Illustrated Bonding / Dominance Behaviours And Dynamics
Boars: A guide to successful companionship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back