Introducing Guineas To Their Run / Grass

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjg

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Morning!
Now the weather is getting nice I want to introduce my 2 guineas to their run and grass.

They are 7 months old and have never been on grass before. Since I collected them from the rehoming centre the weather has been rubbish and they haven't been on grass at all, and at the rehoming centre there was no grass again due to the weather.

They have a 6x4 run waiting for them!

I assume the I need to cut my grass as what is there now hasn't been cut since November probably, so its 'old grass' and the guineas would prefer new / fresh grass?
I am very worried that I will introduce them 'too fast' and they'll get poorly from eating too much grass?

So any advice on introducing guineas to grass would be greatly appreciated.

Enjoy the weekend :)

Morning!
Now the weather is getting nice I want to introduce my 2 guineas to their run and grass.

They are 7 months old and have never been on grass before. Since I collected them from the rehoming centre the weather has been rubbish and they haven't been on grass at all, and at the rehoming centre there was no grass again due to the weather.

They have a 6x4 run waiting for them!

I assume the I need to cut my grass as what is there now hasn't been cut since November probably, so its 'old grass' and the guineas would prefer new / fresh grass?
I am very worried that I will introduce them 'too fast' and they'll get poorly from eating too much grass?

So any advice on introducing guineas to grass would be greatly appreciated.

Enjoy the weekend :)
I think you can give your piggys a few handfuls of grass for maybe a week then put the guinea pigs in the run for a short time and gradually give your piggys more time on the grass. I do not know loads on this.

Reactions: rjg
Thank you for the reply!

Would the 'old grass' be okay in hand fulls? Or does it need to the fresh? Also would you give that along side their normal veg?

Thank you for the reply!

Would the 'old grass' be okay in hand fulls? Or does it need to the fresh? Also would you give that along side their normal veg?
Sorry for late reply.
I give it with thier veg and the new grass would be better.

Thank you for the reply!

Old grass is fine if its still green. If you cut the grass you have to leave it awhile as they cant eat freshly cut grass as it can give them bad tummys. I normally go and get a handful of grass from the greenest bits of grass i can see and lay it on my girls hay.
There a link here that Wiebke made on introducing them back onto the grass. The same will apply for your two as well :)
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...-preparing-your-piggies-for-lawn-time.111844/

Thank you! I will give it a try! :)

Please make sure your grass has no pesticides or weed killer, dog pee etc.

Because they haven't been on grass before it is vital you introduce them 15-20 minutes a day. And gradually increase the amount. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back